Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6-row Protein Rest  (Read 6611 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
6-row Protein Rest
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:53:44 am »
I have no idea if I needed to do this or not but I'm trying a CAP today.
My recipe is:
5 lbs 6 row
2 lbs 2 row
3 lbs flaked corn (if you ever listen to the Jamil Show on CAP and when they tell you to grind this with your malt, don't unless you want to make a huge mess of your rollers).
2 oz Saaz at 60
1 oz Saaz at 15
1 oz Saaz at flameout
WLP800

Anyway, I wasn't sure if I needed to do a protein rest with this or not.  I did a 30 min rest at 122 then added boiling water to bring it up to 148. Was this necessary?  I should have asked before but I wasn't that prepared.  Yeast was ready so this is what I decided to do this morning.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: 6-row Protein Rest
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:57:37 am »
It will help clear the beer and imo is generally good practice when using 6 row and adjuncts like corn.  30 minutes may have been a bit long though. Usually 15 is plenty!  An issue that can creep up when resting for that length of time is it can have a detrimental effect on head retention, although Im not sure how that works with 6 row.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:32:45 pm »
I believe Jef Renner has said that he no longer does a protein rest for CAP.  These days there isn't much more protein in 6 row than 2 row, so in general I haven't found it necessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:44:11 pm »
I don't think it's gonna matter.  This beer is turning out very badly.
I listened to the Jamil show the other day on this style and they mentioned grinding your flaked corn with your malt.  I've used corn before but never heard or done that.  Big mistake.  My rollers are caked with corn and my mash is a stuck mess.  It's taken me a long time to get this one sparged and I have added rice hulls and re-stirred the whole thing so who knows how much air I've stirred into it.  It's pretty cloudy with particles too.
Live and learn.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:55 pm »
That'll teach ya to listen to drunks!  ;)  I have never milled any flaked grain and I have never had problems due to not milling it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 02:36:24 pm »
No, I never mill flaked grains either, it just sticks the mill.  Seems like a bad idea to me.

I don't think it will ruin the beer though, if you can get the wort into the kettle.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 03:02:19 pm »
I've been known to brain-fart and dump the flaked grains in the unmilled barley.  It's never caused me a big problem but it isn't something I would do intentionally.

I don't think it has caused me any issues like a stuck sparge though.  Crushing my grain too fine has caused me no end of problems over the years but I'm a slow learner.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:08:15 pm »
I don't do a protein rest for 6 row in my CAPs.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:51 pm »
popcorn ;), well i haven't actually tried. my wife scolded me so i didn't. but next cap.
Don AHA member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 03:26:55 pm »
That'll teach ya to listen to drunks!  ;) 

Not sure who's left then...

Watch this will turn out to be one of those absolutely awesome beers that I can never replicate again. 
Efficiency took a real hit too on this one for some reason.  Gonna order some more corn and re-do with 2-row as normal and call this one a really big starter.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:30:40 pm »
Graham, as a corn professional you need to do a cereal mash so that you can add that to your resume.  I think you get more corn flavor from corn meal or grits.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 03:32:46 pm »
Graham, as a corn professional you need to do a cereal mash so that you can add that to your resume.  I think you get more corn flavor from corn meal or grits.
I did one for my cream ale which is why I bought the flaked corn :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 03:36:58 pm »
That is backwards from my brews.  Cereal mash for the CAP, flaked for the Cream ale.

Hope yours comes out tasty.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 04:38:41 pm »
That is backwards from my brews.  Cereal mash for the CAP, flaked for the Cream ale.

'

Jeff, how much flaked do you use in your cream ale?  I have 2 lbs left that I was gonna use for a cream ale.  Is that enough for a 5 gal batch?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »

'

Jeff, how much flaked do you use in your cream ale?  I have 2 lbs left that I was gonna use for a cream ale.  Is that enough for a 5 gal batch?

Only 1 lb for 10 gallons, but that also had 2 lbs flaked barley and 1 lb carapils. The rest, 15 lbs,  was Briess 2 row brewers malt.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild