Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy online?!?!  (Read 25020 times)

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
Re: Zymurgy online?!?!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 12:40:33 pm »
Dig it! Thank you! It's pretty cool to finally be getting Zymurgy when it's released. It usually takes a significant amount of time to make its way across the ocean to me.

I agree with some of the complaints about flash and stuff, but it's waaayy better than nothing at all. I can understand the fear of having something too easily duplicated and distributed like a pdf. There are solutions out there. Give it time guys, give it time.

I agree. It takes ages for me to get Zymurgy in the UK (and sometimes it doesn't come at all), so something onnthe web is better than nothing. I'd still prefer to be able to read offline though (and as an author, I appreciate the copyright issues).
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »
I have mixed feelings about this.  As an additional benefit/feature it is great.  As a planned replacement for the print edition in the future (as was mentioned in the print article I read) I think it is not.   Please be aware folks that, yes, even in 2011 (soon 2012...) there are quite a few folks with no internet access available.  I have to drive 5 miles to the public library to use the internet and I have limited times in which to do so.  I will definitely miss the print edition when it is phased out as I am sure it will be despite the reassurances to the contrary.   :'(
Dave Brush

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 01:06:17 pm »
I live WAAAYYY out in the country.  Sometimes my internet service works great, sometimes it's not there at all.  I hear what you're saying.  Based on what I know, it's gonna be a long time before Zymurgy is electronic only.  I haven't even heard a mention of a timeline for that to happen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 09:43:00 am »
I like the ability to look at the newest edition that has yet to reach this corner of the world. It's great.

My one nit pick is the little reminder at the bottom right of each page that continually moves. I know that it indicates where to turn the page, but it's annoying. I loathe animations that vie for my attention on commercial sites. Can there be an option to turn that off?

Again, it is great having this resource for members. Great job.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »
My one nit pick is the little reminder at the bottom right of each page that continually moves.

Thanks for pointing that out.  It should only have the animation on the cover page.  We'll get that fixed.

As for comments on downloadable versions and flash, please keep in mind that the online eZymurgy is just the first step.  We'll be adding iPod/iPhone, iPad and Android apps that will offer much better functionality for use with mobile devices.  We'll also be adding additional back issues this year, giving members access to a large archive of Zymurgy content.

Cheers!
Gary
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:39 am »
[We'll also be adding additional back issues this year, giving members access to a large archive of Zymurgy content.

That will be great!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 06:54:37 am »
As for comments on downloadable versions and flash, please keep in mind that the online eZymurgy is just the first step.  We'll be adding iPod/iPhone, iPad and Android apps that will offer much better functionality for use with mobile devices.  We'll also be adding additional back issues this year, giving members access to a large archive of Zymurgy content.

Great!!!  Like I don't waste enough time at work already ;)

Thanks for making the AHA a great group to be a part of!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline brizone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 01:26:26 pm »
Great stuff getting it online guys, but yes: making us use a flash-based app when the end-of-life for Flash development has already been announced is not so great.  You couldn't have seen that coming (basically three weeks after this thread was started), so it's just a very unfortunate missed conjunction on the timing.

I'm trying to go shopping later today, magazine's at home, can't print out the recipe for my shopping list.  DOH!!!  Going to have to wrap my fingers around a pen and write it down (imagine!)  If I could get that on my phone or iPad though, convenience problem is solved.  So you're definitely heading in the right direction there.

Perhaps consider HTML5 solutions if you really feel you need to keep it under lock and key...

But the REAL monetization strategy for magazines in the 21st century is in the advertising anyway, so don't get too hung up on keeping the magazine so exclusive.  The more downloads you have - eg. circulation - the more money you can make on the ads. Especially once you hit that magic number of 10,000 or higher...

cheers,
@brian