Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ardennes Yeast  (Read 5914 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Ardennes Yeast
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 01:43:43 pm »
I think I'll try to tone it down to a Belgian/American Pale Ale.  I drink way too fast for 1.070 beers.  Apparently I was not born with ability to drink beer slowly so 1.070 beers go down just as fast 1.040 beers but the results are markedly different...

Shoot for something 1.055/50-55 IBUs. 

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

I use 3522 frequently for belgian session blonds and lately tripels.  It gives a  friuty character with some noticable tartness and will attenuate dry.  (a less estery profile than WLP550 IMHO).  I have not used it in a dubbel or dark strong - tartness may be an issue for some, my challenge would be to manage the degree of dryness the yeast can acheive.

Offline brewallday

• 1st Kit
    • Session Beer Brewing
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 02:44:12 pm »
I bought some Ardennes yeast to make a Belgian Dark Strong and I haven't been able to get around to make it. 
For a 1.100 gravity beer, Mr. Malty says I need a minimum of 3 packets in a 6 L starter.  I don't have 3 packets. 
My thought was to make 3 gallons of beer, not sure what.  Belgian Pale maybe.  But how do I figure out if this is enough starter?  That's 12L, I would think it would be lots but I have no idea. 
Or would I be better off to make a 1 L starter and put this in and then put it into a 10L starter (no hops etc) with the intention of dumping it (I would do it in my carboy and then pour the wort directly on top of this yeast cake since it seems like less chance of contamination and there's no hop residue to get rid of).
Thanks

Make 5 gallons of ~1.035 belgian pale with one smack pack direct pitched, or you could make a starter but I think you would be fine with direct pitch.

when it's ready rack to keg and put chilled 1.100 BDS wort on the cake. I wouldn't waste 3 gallons of wort just for a big cake when you could make a nice session ale with the same amount of effort. You could even do an extract batch for the 'starter' if you want to cut down on effort.

**EDIT**

I never worry about the gunk when repitching a big beer on the cake. I can't say if this is a good or not but I find it works well.

I agree you can direct pitch but make sure the yeast pack is relatively fresh