Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: APAs...AIPAs...Comp Yeast Strains?  (Read 7284 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
APAs...AIPAs...Comp Yeast Strains?
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:20:59 pm »
I must admit that I've gotten lazy, and have gotten in a dry yeast rut, in particular, overusing US-05.  For those of you who do well in comps, and are willing to sell the farm, what are your "go to" yeast strains for comp-quality APAs and AIPAs?  Just to be clear, I'm not interested so much in anyone's personal favorite strain, but what the comp people choose for comps.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:31:28 pm by roguejim »

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
Re: APAs...AIPAs...Comp Yeast Strains?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:25:19 pm »
US-05, WYeast 1056, White Labs 001 :)

Denny's Choice is good too.  Rogue's Pacman can be good too add can WYeast 1272.

These are my choices anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »
After years of telling myself 05 was basically comparable to 1056, I recently did a split batch.  Although it wasn't a blind tasting, I thought 1056 was noticeably cleaner than 05.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:37:56 pm »
WLP007 Dry English Ale.  Great attenuation, ferments quick (3-4 days), clean, a little more "characterful" than chico, and floccs almost like WLP002 when finished.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:40:16 pm »
WLP060 American Ale yeast blend.

Slightly more subdued hop character than 001, leaves a little bit more maltiness and clears the beer better. 
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:41:04 pm »
Do you make starters with your liquid yeasts?  You might be tasting the difference between the population of the yeast added more than the difference between the US-05 and 1056.  Then, maybe it is the yeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:42:21 pm »
Do you make starters with your liquid yeasts?  You might be tasting the difference between the population of the yeast added more than the difference between the US-05 and 1056.  Then, maybe it is the yeast.

Me?  Always.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:15:57 pm »
so far, WY 1272 appears to be going over the best, and...more importantly...it's my favorite too.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:20 pm »
My Amer. IPA's have done pretty well in some bigger (400 entry) competitions.  For my tastes, 1450 is great.  It has this wonderful mouthfeel that seems to take some of the harsh edges off of the hops.  It doesn't allow the hop aroma to come through as well as 1056 but there's an easy solution for that!  More dry hops!  The other thing I like is that I don't seem to have to use as much crystal malt as I used to with 1056 to get the same malt impression.

Regarding US-05, I totally agree with Denny.  Having done numerous side by sides 1056 is the way to go.  I know a lof of folks really like it but IMO it doesn't make the same quality beer.  If you are serious about doing well in competition, I would go for the liquid yeast (with a starter of course) to give yourself the best shot.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 05:29:50 pm »
After years of telling myself 05 was basically comparable to 1056, I recently did a split batch.  Although it wasn't a blind tasting, I thought 1056 was noticeably cleaner than 05.

I've always thought so as well. 
The two may have the same basic origins, but I don't see how they drying process would not affect the yeast.  The dry yeast manufacturers have certainly gotten good at delivering a good product, much better than in past years.  But it seems to me that the drying process would surely morph the original yeast into something at least  somewhat different.   Then again, I'm not a biologist... :-\

Re the OP's comments, as far as "getting lazy" with a particular yeast, if you have something you like and it works, using it as a standard isn't being lazy at all.  I have probably 5 or 6 different strains banked that I grow and use from time to time, but at least 95% of my brews (of various types) are made with the same 'house' yeast I've used since the late '80's.   I know what to expect from it, it works in a wide variety of styles, and has always been dependable.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:58:20 pm »
I use US-05 in my APAs and AIPAs.  My last APA won bronze in a local homebrew competition here in Denver put on by Dry Dock Brewery/ Brew Hut.  I'm only doing three gallon batches and use the entire packet of yeast.  I haven't tried 1056, so maybe that's what will get me gold next time. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:42:47 pm »
I like WY1056 and WLP001 the best. They seem to give me the cleanest flavor profile plus they attenuate fairly well. I also like WLP002 because it floccs out really well, but you have to adjust your mash temp down 2-3 degrees to get the same attenuation as the American strains.

I also agree with Denny in regards to US05. I get a very slight fruitiness from it.
Ron Price

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 06:58:21 pm »
Oh, I see now to who it is that I am replying :)

I guess I knew the answer to my question.  I am glad to find you in this great forum.

Tom

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 07:09:20 pm »
Oh, I see now to who it is that I am replying :)

Yeah, when I saw your question earlier, all I could think was a standard line from those old cowboy movies...  "you're not from around these parts, are you?"

:)
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 08:06:08 pm »
The two may have the same basic origins, but I don't see how they drying process would not affect the yeast.  The dry yeast manufacturers have certainly gotten good at delivering a good product, much better than in past years.  But it seems to me that the drying process would surely morph the original yeast into something at least  somewhat different.   Then again, I'm not a biologist... :-\
There should not be any genetic effects of drying the yeast (so no morphing into something else), but there are very likely epigenetic effects (changes in gene expression and other non-genetic differences).  I think it would be interesting to compare the results after repitching in identical beers a few times, see if they perform more similarly.  They should in theory.
Tom Schmidlin