Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping advice  (Read 2374 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Dry hopping advice
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:38:57 am »
So I have an IPA in primary. heading into week two I will likely keg this weekend or early next week. I want to keg hop to get that fresh aroma in there. Here is the recipe

10lbs pale malt
2lbs rye malt
1lbs red wheat malt
2lbs flaked rye

mashed at 150 for 60 minutes

.5 oz Ivanhoe @ FWH
1 oz ivanhoe @ 30
1.5 oz ivanhoe @ 15 (I think or 1 @ 15 and 1.5 at 10...)
1 oz ivanhoe @ 10 min (I think or 1.5 @ 10 and 1 at 15...)
1 oz ivanhoe @ 5 min
1 oz ivanhoe @ 0 min

So that took care of my 6 oz of ivanhoe. I do have about 1 oz of belgian goldings. so I could dry hop with that.

The ivanhoe is an heirloom cluster hop frm northern california. It has lots of tropical fruit, pineapple flavour and aroma. do you think the goldings would work? or clash?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dry hopping advice
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 11:13:43 am »
Ivanhoe...

"Thou must learn to look at thy fate recipe on every side.."

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:44:13 pm »
What are the Belgian goldings like?  Dirt hops like Yakima goldings I like dryhopped in a porter or a brown.

Not sure if the Belgian variety render that earthy aroma.  Is that all you have on hand for the keg hop?  Personally, I might look around for something that might blend better with the 'hoe.

Cheers.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:59:07 pm »
What are the Belgian goldings like?  Dirt hops like Yakima goldings I like dryhopped in a porter or a brown.

Not sure if the Belgian variety render that earthy aroma.  Is that all you have on hand for the keg hop?  Personally, I might look around for something that might blend better with the 'hoe.

Cheers.

yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It is the only hop I have on hand at the moment aside from some very old saaz that are destined for a lambic. But my wonderful mother just sent me a gift cert to the brew store so I ordered another couple oz of ivanhoe for DH purposes. just have to wait a couple days to keg till they arrive. I like this better cause it will be a single hop all the way through.

also ordered a temp controler finally! hurray. got the elcheapo johnson analog cause it was half the price of the digital ranco. hope I don't regret that. either way it will be better than the timer I use now  :D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:17:20 pm »
But my wonderful mother just sent me a gift cert to the brew store so I ordered another couple oz of ivanhoe for DH purposes.

Hells yes.  The most pure and perfect choice. 
Time is on your side with the IPA keg hop,
especially since your mother is awesome and you live in Ivanhoe country. ;)