Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Retirement?  (Read 10872 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Retirement?
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:40:57 am »
Always said I'd never retire: a young man's hubris. Been working for thirty years and now feeling it. ;D Wondering what it'd be like to retire early before 50!

Before someone goes on about "advice on a forum" I know many of ya'll to be professionals- perhaps a few saavy and retired homebrewers. I'm looking for strategies and pointers in various scenarios.

Is it possible?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Retirement?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:14:53 am »
I retired at 49, moved to Hawaii and started two business.  I am working on starting two more.

The secret to success is do what you like and it's not a job.  I don't see myself ever stopping "work."  I'll just hand the businesses over to my son or sell them when I cannot do it any more.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:00:47 am »
While it was not permanent retirement, I took off for year (actually, a little over a year) before opening the brewery. It was great to take some time off to focus on things around the house, catch up on some reading .... catch up on some naps.  ;) Have to agree with puna though, it's more fun to have something you really want to do that doesn't feel like work and that doesn't become routine, or becomes pleasant routine. Maybe you could take some time off with the goal of starting a new business. I have greatly enjoyed having the challenge of a young business to grow in the middle years of my life. It gives me energy I might not otherwise have.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:55:57 am »
turning 50 soon.  i never wanted to stop working but when i was in my mid 30s out of the navy i realized i couldn't do what i was doing forever.  told my self what would i do if i hit the lotto.  answer was go to med school.  then i sez to my self,  self why wait?  now i have a job that i could do for another 20 years, the problem: is that i pretty much have to do the cost of starting up.  our big question is where we want to end up.  soon to be an empty nester and kids in the service, family scattered all over..... don't know if that helps or what your situation is but for us it is how to stay close to family that matters
Don AHA member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 07:16:45 am »
I retired at 56.  It has been good.  Whenever I think about going back to work, I remember the stress and all of the BS from working at a big company.  The guys I have lunch with now and then say it has gotten a lot worse.

You work because you want to, or because you have to.  Someday the want to might get strong enough that I will do something low stress. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 07:23:32 am »
I'm lucky enough that at 28, I can see semi-"retirement" happening in about 10 years. But, I think it depends on what you call retirement. Our plan is to go into overdrive with work, pay cash for a house and land, make sure all of our debts are gone and then open the brewery with no loan, using that for income and keeping some side projects coming in for savings. That way in about 8 years of (really, really, really) hard work we'd be more or less financially independent. That vision figures heavily on us being able to cover all of our expenses with the brewery operating with three brews a week, and the rest of the time is spent homesteading so we cut our expenses in as many ways as possible.

Perhaps spending 4 hours a day in the garden plus 6 hours every other day brewing is not 'retirement' but it sounds pretty durn good to me :-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:27:53 am »
I'll turn 53 in April and am looking to retire in the next several years.  The best advice I could give is to plan ahead and start early.  Our current house is paid off and we paid cash for our retirement property this past December.  No debt and lots of retirement savings (401K, IRA, etc.) seems like the way to go.  Oh yeah, we've got one still left to get through college but we've already got that put away too.
Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:28:58 am »

Perhaps spending 4 hours a day in the garden plus 6 12 hours+ every other day brewing is not 'retirement' but it sounds pretty durn good to me :-)

fixed that for ya! I left the house before 8 yesterday AM and didn't get home until close to 10.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:02 am »

Perhaps spending 4 hours a day in the garden plus 6 12 hours+ every other day brewing is not 'retirement' but it sounds pretty durn good to me :-)

fixed that for ya! I left the house before 8 yesterday AM and didn't get home until close to 10.

Yeah, but my brewery is next door to my house, so even if it's 12 hours it's not quite the same thing. But I totally see what you mean.
----

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:13:46 am »
All I can tell ya phill is - you better hire a gardener.   ;)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:48 am »
All I can tell ya phill is - you better hire a gardener.   ;)

I already have a wife! Hiyooooo!!!
----

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:25 am »
I just passed 60 and I don't know when, or if, I'll ever be able to retire.  But I sure think about it a lot!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 09:57:24 am »
All good answers. I too would like to work in the garden or go fishing. Maybe tour the country on the cheap. I studied and trained hard to attain my current skills but working for the "Man" is starting to wear me down. Will turn 45 soon and can only see myself working another ten years.

Consequently, I have two 403b accounts (Fidelity & Metlife) and a pension through the same corporation. Have payed aggressively into these annuities especially during 2008 through last fall, when it made sense to back off a bit and use cash to pay down debt. The pension I just found out about- had no idea there was one for me.

Dave Ramsey has influenced my financial philosophy to a certain degree. I only hold debt on my mortgage and student loan which total less than 30k. Not bad huh? Soon these will be payed off.

Have wondered about immediate annuities both fixed and variable and if a sufficient lump sum might provide an income until retirement and beyond. Or at the very least augment my current income to where I could work less hours per week. A semi-retirement if you will. ;) Any ideas about annuities?

I plan to talk to a professional advisor because without a realistic plan it's all a scary pipe dream. :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:00:56 am »
I don't even think about retiring.  We save for retirement and everything, and I expect to change jobs again at some point (or several points) and at some point I might be doing something that pays less or not at all, but I don't really think about not working on something.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:38 am »
If the historical data is anything to go by, my family is bad at full on retirement. So the less I think about that, the better. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison