Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Retirement?  (Read 10924 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Retirement?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 03:18:49 pm »
The Boeing curve shows that for every year that you work beyond 50, you can subtract one year off your life expectancy. Boeing study on their employees and retirement.

Remember it is statistics, does not hold for everyone, or every job or company.

Take away is that stress is bad.  If you retire early and find something to do that you like, you have the possibility of living longer.
I would have hated working for Boeing then.  My dad is 83 and he retired at age 70.  By this calculation he would have lived to 103 if he had retired at 50 :o
My job is not stressful at all, but my employees damn sure are.  But I don't think stress is the real question, I think it's how you deal with it that matters.  For the past 30 years my wife and I have taken a nice vacation every year, the minimum has been 3 weeks, the longest was 10 weeks.  My kids tease us that we won't have much of a bucket list by the time we get to retirement but our attitude was "why wait until we're too old to enjoy ourselves"  Bar hopping in Bamberg is a lot more fun at 50 than it will be at 70
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 03:34:15 pm »
Stress is a cause according to some research that I have read. But if there are big rewards and gratification, some live long lives at those jobs. Symphony conductors are used as an example. Then there is the stress of working for a soul killing company like I did.  High stress and no gratification.  I was thinking I would not last until retirement age, but I got the retirement offer. Does anyone know a guy that retired at 65 and was dead within a year?  I know of several.

Of course some question the data that are out there.  But many big companies say it that the data that they have correlates closely to the Boeing data.

Some data and discussion as to why the data is not as "clean" as it could be. 
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/retire-early-live-longer-14402.html

I have been to Bamberg 3 times.  Number 4 is coming soon.  Along with some bus trips to small towns.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 04:02:28 pm »
i told my dad i wanted to be a beach bum, if he would have let me i would have lived well in to my hundreds.
Don AHA member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 05:33:16 pm »
I'd love to retire early but my house won't be paid off for another 15 years.   :(
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »
The Boeing curve shows that for every year that you work beyond 50, you can subtract one year off your life expectancy. Boeing study on their employees and retirement.

So how many years did I gain by retiring at 49?

The Aloha Axiom states that every day spent in Hawaii is not deducted from your total.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 05:37:38 pm »

That's because they were not allowed to move to South Carolina...   ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 05:41:28 pm »
Looks like Texas is the best state to retire in according to this...
The No. 1 state, Texas, outranked all other states with its outstanding scores for economic factors and climate.

http://www.aarp.org/work/retirement-planning/info-09-2010/10-best-rated-states-for-retirement.html
Ron Price

Offline punatic

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »
The No. 1 state, Texas, outranked all other states with its outstanding scores for economic factors and climate.

http://www.aarp.org/work/retirement-planning/info-09-2010/10-best-rated-states-for-retirement.html

Right-on Ron!  Would you like a job with the Hawaii Chamber of Commerce?   ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 05:59:48 pm »

Right-on Ron!  Would you like a job with the Hawaii Chamber of Commerce?   ;)

Would love to... 8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 06:28:20 pm »
Texas huh? Well it is a pretty nice place to live if you can go elsewhere during the summer months.

Again it was nailed on the head.  I love my job and what I do. I'm an expert.  It's the personalities, politics etc that drives me nuts. Imagine working with all alpha people with differing ideas on how to accomplish the same task. :P
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »
Good luck.  Can't offer much more than that.  I'm 42 with 4 kids still to put through school and it seems like every time I turn around I get further in debt (new septic, basement flood, foundation repair - borrowed and buried 25K last year, can't see a $ of it.

I work for a big company with a great pension program so I'm banking on that.  All of the money I've put away has been in mutual funds and after what I lost last year, I'd have been better off to put it under the mattress. 

I'm gonna be working for a very long time so enjoy your early retirement.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 07:06:20 pm »
Texas huh? Well it is a pretty nice place to live if you can go elsewhere during the summer months.

Again it was nailed on the head.  I love my job and what I do. I'm an expert.  It's the personalities, politics etc that drives me nuts. Imagine working with all alpha people with differing ideas on how to accomplish the same task. :P

this is what scares me about moving.  love my work, and really i have good partners and staff.  going somewhere else could end up with a bunch of tools to work with.  same job, but the people make a huge  or should i say euge difference
Don AHA member

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 08:39:55 am »
had one of my favorites in the office today.  retired 74 yo engineer.  he couldn't stand it. he has been driving a school bus for the last 10 years. 
Don AHA member

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 09:22:34 am »

It's too hot there.  I lived in Austin for a year back in 2000.  It's routinely in the upper 90s and 100s in the summer months.  All that heat and the sun is not good for the skin.  Ever notice how people who tan a lot look much older much earlier in their lives?  Their skin is all leathery and blah...
I'd rather lives somewhere that doesn't get super cold or hot.  If it never got colder than 32F and never hotter than 75F, I'd be happy with that.  But I'd much rather it got below zero than over 100F.  Can always put more clothes on, but you can only take so much off.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2012, 12:04:34 pm »
I'd rather lives somewhere that doesn't get super cold or hot.  If it never got colder than 32F and never hotter than 75F, I'd be happy with that.
This is the main reason I moved to the PNW. :)
Tom Schmidlin