Author Topic: Retirement?  (Read 6075 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
had one of my favorites in the office today.  retired 74 yo engineer.  he couldn't stand it. he has been driving a school bus for the last 10 years.

Hey wait a minute - engineers drive trains, not buses.

I became an environmental engineer so I could drive electric trains (zero emmisions).

What next, doctors driving submarines? ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:53:45 PM by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
I'd rather lives somewhere that doesn't get super cold or hot.  If it never got colder than 32F and never hotter than 75F, I'd be happy with that.
This is the main reason I moved to the PNW. :)

I also have entertained moving there. Every summer... 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
I'd rather lives somewhere that doesn't get super cold or hot.  If it never got colder than 32F and never hotter than 75F, I'd be happy with that.
This is the main reason I moved to the PNW. :)

I also have entertained moving there. Every summer... 8)
The NE corner of the Olympic Peninsula (Sequim, Port Townsend, Discovery Bay, etc) is popular with retirees because of the moderate temperatures and the reduced rainfall since they are in the rain shadow of the Olympics.  Probably not as cheap to live there as where you are though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »
Somehow Carlsbad is a popular retirement town, but here the winters are cold(unless you wait until 10AM to leave the house), and the summers are very hot.  But utility costs are very low here-this winter my heating bill has not been over $90 any month, and in the summer electricity costs less than $200 in the worst month.  That includes paying for 2 beer fridges, a pool filter, water well and AC for a 2100 sq ft house.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
I'm thinking Hawaii might be the ideal place to retire...at least from the weather standpoint.   8)
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Shhhhh    :-X

These aren't the droids you are looking for.  You may go about your business.  Move along...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 06:24:54 AM »
The Boeing curve shows that for every year that you work beyond 50, you can subtract one year off your life expectancy. Boeing study on their employees and retirement.

That's because they were not allowed to move to South Carolina...   ;)

Come on to South Carolina to retire!!! Why be left out? 95% of the rest of the country has ;D Get in your big ol' Caddillac and drive 35 MPH in the left lane. :o

I'm targeting 9 more years @ 60 to step away. I have always been pay-as-you-go pretty much all my life and have a plan, but we'll see how that works out.

I'm sure everyday stress is a big factor and my time in LE shaved off a few years but its what you make of it also. I need some stress on the job to get something done. It kind of drives me toward the goal. But there are different kinds of stress. Having a dead-line is one thing but sittiing in a corporate meeting with 10 other people and you're the only one that is right is another...idiots. ;)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 06:37:26 AM »
Shhhhh    :-X

These aren't the droids you are looking for.  You may go about your business.  Move along...

;D
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 05:36:26 AM »
had one of my favorites in the office today.  retired 74 yo engineer.  he couldn't stand it. he has been driving a school bus for the last 10 years.

I became an environmental engineer so I could drive electric trains (zero emmisions).

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a sub driver!

tschmidlin, how do you get temps in the 70s if you never see the sun? Weren't those twilight movies just tourism ads for Washington state?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »

don't think they would ever let me back on one ;D
Don AHA member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
tschmidlin, how do you get temps in the 70s if you never see the sun? Weren't those twilight movies just tourism ads for Washington state?
It's sunny right now Phil!

And it was 25F when I left the house ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 12:16:23 PM »
Been doing a bit more research. f##king scary is what it is. Do you think a million dollars would leave you set and could retire today? Might not be enough. Did find an immediate annuity that would pay 4k a month for your lifetime and pay your heirs as well. But, for a million it wouldn't even double in value over the course of 40 years. Probably better off managing it yourself.

Been reading about strategies for retiring early (30-40-50's) and the successful retirees live a pretty tight lifestyle. Not lavish or with expensive hobbies. But they have it figured out tightly percentage-wise and plan for inflation and critical expenditures. They manage their own portfolios They also all own their domiciles free and clear.

How does riding a bike or just plain walking sound? Might make the difference when you compute the annual costs of owning one or more vehicles.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
I'm thinking Hawaii might be the ideal place to retire...at least from the weather standpoint.   8)

That's my plan.  Wife and I are closing on a condo in Kihei, Maui.  Using it as an investment vehicle which we'll rent out to vacationers and of course use when we visit.  This is part one of our retirement plan. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
Been doing a bit more research. f##king scary is what it is. Do you think a million dollars would leave you set and could retire today? Might not be enough. Did find an immediate annuity that would pay 4k a month for your lifetime and pay your heirs as well. But, for a million it wouldn't even double in value over the course of 40 years. Probably better off managing it yourself.

Been reading about strategies for retiring early (30-40-50's) and the successful retirees live a pretty tight lifestyle. Not lavish or with expensive hobbies. But they have it figured out tightly percentage-wise and plan for inflation and critical expenditures. They manage their own portfolios They also all own their domiciles free and clear.

How does riding a bike or just plain walking sound? Might make the difference when you compute the annual costs of owning one or more vehicles.

i am hoping for a million in cash, that's why i figure i might be able to stop working at 70, i first have to dig back out of debt......, then my kids can have whats left if i don't  live much past 70
Don AHA member

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »

That's my plan.  Wife and I are closing on a condo in Kihei, Maui.  Using it as an investment vehicle which we'll rent out to vacationers and of course use when we visit.  This is part one of our retirement plan.

Sounds like a viable plan! Hopefully you'll have it paid for upon retirement...that would be awesome.
Ron Price