Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Golden Bock?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline dolecek21

• Cellarman
  • Denver, Co
Golden Bock?
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:02:36 pm »
Last spring Sierra Nevada put out a seasonal called "Glissade" and labeled it a golden bock.  It doesn't look like they are going to be releasing it again this year, going with the Ruthless Rye instead (although I like that too).  I am thinking of trying to brew something similar.  I seem to remember reading somewhere (here?) that maybe the way to go would be to essentially take a maibock recipe and substitute the munich malt for vienna.  Does this sound right, or better yet, has anybody tried this?  Any other suggestions for trying to match this style?

Thanks!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Golden Bock?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:51:25 pm »
I did not try the Glassade, but I made a big Maibock (10 gallons) using 25 pounds of pilsner malt, 1.5 lbs of Munich, 1 pound of Carahelles, and 1 pound of Carafoam; Hallertau hops (3 oz at 60 min, 1 oz at 20 min, and 1 oz at knockout).  Pitched a full 5 gallon batch's cake of WLP 800.

I haven't tried it yet - it has a couple months to go.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:38:48 am »
With that much base malt I am not sure you need the Carahelles or Carafoam but everything else looks good. Must wait until May 1 to tap  ;)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline dolecek21

• Cellarman
  • Denver, Co
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:36:02 pm »
Just saw this...

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/glissade.html

Looks like they still use Munich.  Perhaps just in a smaller quantity with more base malt like you are doing ynotbrusum?  Maybe just substitute some of the Munich with plis?  I can't imagine there is much crystal either as the color is pretty golden. 

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »
I can't imagine there is much crystal either as the color is pretty golden.

The crystal malt could be carapils or something similar.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:12 pm »
The crystal malt could be carapils or something similar.

Given the low SRM and the high body I remember from the beer, I'd think it would have to be.

Otherwise, from my recollections and from looking at the SN website, I think that it's a spot on Helles Bock.