Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: need to filter out orange peel  (Read 3105 times)

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
need to filter out orange peel
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:37:25 pm »
about six weeks ago, I brewed a belgian style tripel, and I dry-hopped it with bitter orange peel.  I transferred to keg yesterday, and a few smaller pieces got through the siphon.  I didn't think much of it at the time, figured the worst case was it may clog my tubing or something.  I poured my first glass tonight, and there's a lot more chunks than I anticipated.  looks to be mostly the rehydrated pithy bits, and they do settle out fairly quickly.  I don't like pulp in my orange juice, I certainly don't like it in my beer.  any suggestions as to how I can filter these out?  unfortunately, I've already carbonated the beer.
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: need to filter out orange peel
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:42:11 pm »
Put something on the end of the dip tube to act as a screen.  A surescreen or a hop bag would probably work.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:00:20 pm »
Put something on the end of the dip tube to act as a screen.  A surescreen or a hop bag would probably work.

that was my first thought.  transfer to a clean keg tho, or just use this as is?  best way to attach it? sterilized rubber band, mayhaps?
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 01:00:21 am »
Pull a couple more glasses and see if the chunks go away. If they do then check your QD's and clean them just to be sure no peel gets hung up in there.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:52:58 am »

that was my first thought.  transfer to a clean keg tho, or just use this as is?  best way to attach it? sterilized rubber band, mayhaps?

I'd be worried about possibly tasting the rubber. Maybe a sanitized zip-tie?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »
a stainless steel scouring pad attached with stainless steel wire makes a decent particle filter.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »
My worst brewing day ever involved putting dried bitter orange peel into wit wort.  In just 5 minutes those tiny pieces swelled to the point where they plugged my racking port on my conical, then the pump and pretty much every other piece of tubing between the kettle and the fermenter.  Orange peel now goes into a hops bag so it stays out of the equipment.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico