Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So i have this "friend"...  (Read 12163 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: So i have this "friend"...
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:05 pm »

You've probably heard this before, but you should read Stephen King's Dark Tower series if you haven't yet.  Ron Howard is working on a movie trilogy/TV miniseries to cover that massive story.  I hope he does it justice!

wow, I can't imagine a trilogy or mini series could even begin to do that story justice. maybe a full on series like harry potter
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 10:45:05 pm »

You've probably heard this before, but you should read Stephen King's Dark Tower series if you haven't yet.  Ron Howard is working on a movie trilogy/TV miniseries to cover that massive story.  I hope he does it justice!

wow, I can't imagine a trilogy or mini series could even begin to do that story justice. maybe a full on series like harry potter
It took 6 hours to put The Stand into a miniseries, and that was one book.  And there are a lot of parts in the gunslinger series that wouldn't be very friendly to tv... But if it's true, I will be waiting to see it... By far, my favorite series of books.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 08:52:23 pm »
Here's a link to the Dark Tower movie page, with info.  It sounds like they're planning to do 3 movies, with a miniseries in between each movie, to develop the characters further and cover the material in between.  But yeah, I agree that the sheer scope and size of the saga will make it very difficult to cover adequately. 

SK should translate to the screen fairly well, but a lot of what I've seen is hit-and-miss.  Dreamcatcher was pretty darn good, and it sounds like Bag of Bones is getting a shot.  Of course Stand by Me and The Shawshank Redemption were great too.  Pet Sematery was pretty creepy as well, and The Shining freaked me right out back in the day... 

Anyway, getting off-track here, but it's cool to know I'm not the only DT junkie on here.   ;)  Book 8 is coming out very soon now... The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 10:45:17 pm »
Here's a link to the Dark Tower movie page, with info.  It sounds like they're planning to do 3 movies, with a miniseries in between each movie, to develop the characters further and cover the material in between.  But yeah, I agree that the sheer scope and size of the saga will make it very difficult to cover adequately. 

SK should translate to the screen fairly well, but a lot of what I've seen is hit-and-miss.  Dreamcatcher was pretty darn good, and it sounds like Bag of Bones is getting a shot.  Of course Stand by Me and The Shawshank Redemption were great too.  Pet Sematery was pretty creepy as well, and The Shining freaked me right out back in the day... 

Anyway, getting off-track here, but it's cool to know I'm not the only DT junkie on here.   ;)  Book 8 is coming out very soon now... The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Well, I will await that. I am a little skeptical honestly. The Dark tower was so much of a finish. I feel like to bring out another one 8 years later smacks of needing the money which is hard to believe. I'm gonna read it, I'm just saying.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:37 pm »
I was under the impression the DT was still a work in progress.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 11:04:01 pm »

really? maybe I need to read it again. The impression I got from the 'last' book Dark Tower was a clear message that it was an iterative reality and everything was going to happen again and, in fact had happened many times before. I didn't think that he would actually keep telling the story. But hey, if it's good King it's a good thing (hey that rhymes, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it (hey that rhymes...))
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:39 pm »

really? maybe I need to read it again. The impression I got from the 'last' book Dark Tower was a clear message that it was an iterative reality and everything was going to happen again and, in fact had happened many times before. I didn't think that he would actually keep telling the story. But hey, if it's good King it's a good thing (hey that rhymes, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it (hey that rhymes...))

Hey!  Watch the spoilers!  We're trying to get Weaze going on the series here!  FWIW, Book 8 actually takes place between books 4 and 5, I believe, and it's essentially a long story Roland tells the others.  So in my mind, yes, the series is finished.  I think SK just identified a gap in there that could be filled more clearly.  I'm certainly not going to argue if he wants to write a few more! 

BTW, I really enjoyed 11/22/63.  That's some quality King!  Last year's Under the Dome, not so much. 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 11:22:49 pm »
Update, Holly and me got to the theater at 6pm for the midnight showing. We were outside the building on the sidewalk. By the time they let us in at 1030, the line was a good half mile long. There are ten screens here, all showing Hunger Games. All ten sold out. I have just about an hour now till showtime.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 12:05:44 am »
I read the first three dark tower books, and I kinda dug them in their own weird way.  Roland was a great character.  But this was the mid nineties and he was very slow to produce another DK in the series.  I gave up on them. 

Is the dark tower finished now?  I dont want to wait for another installment in the series.  She I restart and go through them now?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 08:11:57 am »
I read the first three dark tower books, and I kinda dug them in their own weird way.  Roland was a great character.  But this was the mid nineties and he was very slow to produce another DK in the series.  I gave up on them. 

Is the dark tower finished now?  I dont want to wait for another installment in the series.  She I restart and go through them now?

yeah, start over, there are now 8 books apparently so it should keep you goning for a while.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 09:17:20 am »
Looks like Wind Through the Keyhole is going back and filling in gaps in Roland's history, not continuing the story after the The Dark Tower.  I'll definitely be reading it but it probably won't measure up to the original seven books.  I'm working my way through the series again now.  For the fourth or fifth time.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 01:57:45 am »
I bought the first book in hunger games tonight while my daughter was in violin lessons.  I started reading about 9pm and finished up about half an hour ago.  I'll be letting her read it, but not 100% on her own.  I think I'll toss it to her early Sunday morning and be around during the day and night so we can talk about it when she finishes. 

I guess I'll be buying the second book next week sometime ... 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 08:18:24 am »
Cool man! Pretty decent book, eh?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 09:32:53 am »
The stuff you can learn about on this forum.  8^) 

I had no idea an eighth book was coming in the Dark Tower series.  You'd think, what was it, 25 or 30 years waiting for the end was enough.  Oh well, another book on the list.

Thanks folks!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 09:42:06 am »
Well Weaze, did you like it?

We went to a theater that has VIP tickets.  Bought them on line, had an assigned seat and best of all, it was licensed with a lounge and wait staff that would bring you beer in the theater, during the movie.  Now, if they just had some decent beer. 
Glad we went this route, huge lineups but we got to walk in whenever we felt like it and had a nice relaxing drink before the movie.  Movie was good too.