Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sure Screen  (Read 3543 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Sure Screen
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:59 am »
If you put a Sure Screen on the liquid dip tube, can you add whole leaf hops to the keg for dryhopping without bagging them?

I've heard that it works, but the mesh doesn't look fine enough to me to do the job.

Thoughts?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sure Screen
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:03:50 am »
It's worked for me, although I usually use a bag.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline alemental

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:48 am »
Whole hops work just fine with the surescreen. That is my standard technique for dry hopping. No problem whatsoever. Don't try hop pellets: those will plug it up.
Loose hop cones have a real tendency to float though, so lay your keg on it's side to get more of them in constant contact with the beer. Then flip it end for end frequently to redistribute them a bit more evenly.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:24:49 am »
Don't try hop pellets: those will plug it up.

This has not been my experience. I ferment in a 10 gallon corny keg and just racked off an imperial IPA that was dryhopped with 8oz. of pellets loose in the primary, no problem.  I do keg to keg transfers with a jumper from my primary 10 gallon corny to the standard 5 gallon keg.  This is my standard modus operandi with dry hopped ales and I have never had a clogging issue with a surescreen
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:28:21 am by hoser »

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:24:33 pm »
While Im not sure about dry hopping in a keg with a sure screen, I have one in my boil kettle. It works very well with leaf hops except really seedy ones! Sometimes seeds can actually clog the fine mesh up pretty good, so be conscious of seeds going in.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.