Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drunken bugs already  (Read 3207 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Drunken bugs already
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »
Today I'm sitting under a shade tree, it's 70F but windy, and I see a black floater in my glass.  I figure it's just everyday flying debris but then I notice it's doing the backstroke.  I finish that one, pour another and after 5 minutes I see 3 of the drunken swimmers in my glass.  It's way too early to have to put up with these evil creatures.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Drunken bugs already
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:57:30 pm »
Wow...it is early for the drunkin' swimmers these days. I usually don't see them until April. It's been a mild winter.
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:18 pm »
Peach trees are 1/2 bloom, my plum & apple trees are breaking bud, grape vines seeping sap from the prunings. All this means sap is rising. No flying insects yet to pollinate. Way too early. Going to be a bad year for fruit. Pecans yet to be determined.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:18:32 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »
I'm just starting to see some buds getting ready to open.
So far the little flying menaces haven't made it into the house, I really do hate these creatures. 
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:46:32 pm »
I'm starting to see some of the trees bud on my property. The grass is starting to grow a little. It was in the mid 60's a few days this week. Very unusual for the mid-Atlantic in February. It will likely be an early spring this year.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:04 pm »
And  . . . we got snow last night.  It melted today, but more is falling tonight.  I think it will go on like that for a few more days.  Hopefully it's enough to delay the plants budding until a more appropriate time.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:49 pm »
I love that the winter has been so mild.  I just hope that doesn't mean the bugs will be that much worse come spring.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:37:58 am »
No bugs here.  Snowed the last 2 days and 18F this morning.  The Wed. high will be 53F. 

One year we got most of the winter's snow in March, so I will not say it is spring for a while.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:32:04 am »
Been a crazy mild winter in Idaho too, despite the fact I spent much of it in Ohio. (Mild here too) There's been so little snow in Idaho, I'm afraid its gonna be a dry summer. We rely on the snow pack for our summer water. This year, no snow pack. This could seriously put a cramp on my brewing.  :o
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 09:31:35 am »
I love that the winter has been so mild.  I just hope that doesn't mean the bugs will be that much worse come spring.

+1

I think they're going to have a running start this season...or should I say flying.  :-\
Ron Price

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 12:40:12 pm »
The end is near my friends. 
2012 marks the start of severe and erratic local and regional climactic swings, and the days of relevant calm are gone. ??? ;)

A few weeks ago I found large hatches of some stonefly looking insects. Got warm, they all hatched out and then promptly froze and dessicated to death.  Could be we are going to be seeing less insects, as apposed to more, around here.   :-\

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:31:14 pm »
Good taste those, bugs. Can you blame them?
Member #: 900000767

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 05:59:33 am »
The end is near my friends. 
2012 marks the start of severe and erratic local and regional climactic swings, and the days of relevant calm are gone. ??? ;)

A few weeks ago I found large hatches of some stonefly looking insects. Got warm, they all hatched out and then promptly froze and dessicated to death.  Could be we are going to be seeing less insects, as apposed to more, around here.   :-\

Yes, the end of winter is near.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:55 am »
My maple trees started dripping 3 weeks ago.  The tulips are up and our hostas are sprouting.  I haven't seen any buds yet but the lawn is starting to green up.  It's way too early for this stuff.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?