Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I hope this pump is strong enough...  (Read 6077 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
I hope this pump is strong enough...
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:59 pm »
After a disappointingly long wait for my wort to cool last weekend I started reading about how I could improve the performance of an immersion chiller. (25 feet of 3/8" copper and I live in Florida where the water aint so cold)

The bulk of the suggestions pointed to switching to ice water somewhere around 120F and letting a submersible pump recirculate the cold water.

So, I ordered this one: 264 GPH Submersible Fountain Pump

Has anyone else used a similar setup with success or did I aim too low and get a pump that is too weak? (yes, I know, I should have posted this before ordering it)
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline paul

• Cellarman
Re: I hope this pump is strong enough...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:46 pm »
This is the pump I have: http://www.flotecpump.com/ResidentialProduct_fl_ut_wr_FP0S1300X.aspx

Bought it for a flooded crawlspace.  (Thankfully I get to put it to a more fun use now.)

I don't need all of the flow/head potential this pump has.  I have a small ball valve on the output that is probably almost half-way closed.  I measured the actual flow at closer to 1 gal/min or 60 gal/hour. 

Given all that, my pump is oversized.  Hard to say how yours will do; it's probably on the edge.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:15 pm »
Mine is rated at 550 Gph, and I think that is as low as I would go for a 50 ft 0.5 inch chiller and 10 gallon batches.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:54:30 am »
This is similar to what I have for the task:  http://www.homedepot.com/Flotec/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZl1/R-100178274/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=sump%20pump&storeId=10051

It's overkill but works well.  I got it after the cheap 153 gph aquarium pump I got completely failed at the task.  The one you have is a little bigger than that but may not be up to the task.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:35:28 am »
Not really an answer to your question but I live in Alabama and for years and years on homebrew batches I have just put my wort in my fermentation chamber over night until it reached pitching temps. Sometimes as long as twelve hours. Before I got my glycol system at my brewery I did this on a professional level as well, repitching yeast up to 5-6 generations and never had a problem. I actually decided that I liked the "break" in the action, to aerate and pitch the next day.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:54:07 am »
I actually decided that I liked the "break" in the action, to aerate and pitch the next day.

Agreed, I ended up for most of last summer brewing one day, cooling overnight, and pitching the next day.  That "break" you speak of is, indeed, extremely nice.
Joe

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »
Well, I just tested the flow rate through my chiller and it works out to 40 GPH. I think I'll return it and get one that is rated higher (wow, 1/6th the "rated" flow rate, I wonder how they actually test them to get 264 GPH). The next one up is 620 GPH for $35. Assuming I get 1/6th of that I should be at 100 GPH. I can't find the web site where I saw a test of immersion chillers and recirculation of ice baths, but I seem to remember 100 GPH was the sweet spot.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:31:47 am »
Well, I just tested the flow rate through my chiller and it works out to 40 GPH. I think I'll return it and get one that is rated higher (wow, 1/6th the "rated" flow rate, I wonder how they actually test them to get 264 GPH). The next one up is 620 GPH for $35. Assuming I get 1/6th of that I should be at 100 GPH. I can't find the web site where I saw a test of immersion chillers and recirculation of ice baths, but I seem to remember 100 GPH was the sweet spot.

That stated flow rate is at the output with no resistance and 25 feet of 3/8 tubing provides a lot of resistance. Look at the head pressure of pumps as this this equates to power. Higher head pressure will help push water through the chiller.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:24:21 am »
That stated flow rate is at the output with no resistance and 25 feet of 3/8 tubing provides a lot of resistance. Look at the head pressure of pumps as this this equates to power. Higher head pressure will help push water through the chiller.

After getting their "620" GPH model ($35) I wanted to see what was the maximum output I could get from just the water pressure of my garden hose... turns out I can only put 90 GPH through the 25 foot, 3/8" chiller.

The 620 GPH model pumps 60 GPH through it. I think that will be enough for recirculating the ice bath. Kicking myself for not spending $30 more dollars on a 1/2" model chiller, but I think this will be OK. I won't spend anymore on this until I'm ready to upgrade to a counterflow or Jamil's whirlpool chiller..

I still can't find the web site that had detailed measurements of chill times using various water flows and chiller diameters...grr!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:33 am »
i would just use what you have. that pump was in expensive. i have a submersible pump similar to those flotec pumps shown.  the inlet temperature will be the same (from your ice water) the outlet temperature will be higher than with a high flow pump and will take a little longer to cool but overall no big deal.

that said, i usually just wait for the next day and don't use a chiller at all.
Don AHA member

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:56:31 pm »
Very happy with how it worked today. Down to 70F in 25 minutes.