Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bad Amarillo  (Read 3232 times)

Offline barney

• 1st Kit
  • Linköping, Sweden
Bad Amarillo
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:45:38 am »
Both some craft brewers and homebrewers in Sweden are dissatisfied with the last crop of Amarillo. Lacks  citrusaroma - more grassy and flowery than expected. Did they send the bad stuff to Europe and kept the the rest for the homeland?
Björn Petersson

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Re: Bad Amarillo
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:23 pm »
It could be that what was sent was harvested late. That could account for the less than stellar characterisics. Or they could have had a bad boat ride.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:12:38 pm »
I've heard one other person say that, but they were in the US.  The Amarillo I bought last fall are great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:21:02 pm »
I have yet to make my Amarillo ale with this years hops, thse are still frozen, so I can't say.

The Hallertau Mittlefrueh whole hops are full of seeds this year.  I had to ask myself, did they say - "Defekt, send to America." The Germans don't like seeds in their hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:59:42 pm »
The Amarillo I bought last fall are great.

+1

I bought a pound last fall, and it is some of the best Amarillo I've smelled and tasted.
Ron Price

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »
Have not used any of mine either, but I just cracked my sack of whole flower this morning.
Smelled OK, not overly pungent.
Not really fresh green color and definitely lots of brown, dried out prior to harvest flowers.

Defekt. ;D

Today I am going to pair with Sorachi Cent and Simcoe, so I hope I don't notice any ill effects. :o

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:16 am »
I've heard one other person say that, but they were in the US.  The Amarillo I bought last fall are great.

+1, picked up 2 lbs of them and use them in quite a few beers. They were great I thought, full of citrus and tropical fruit notes.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:11:53 pm »
...I just cracked my sack...
Ouch.
Today I am going to pair with Sorachi Cent and Simcoe, so I hope I don't notice any ill effects. :o
Excepting drinking too many pints of citrusy goodness.

Anybody else think of the red licorice from Wayne's World when they read this title?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO