Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SN Ruthless Rye IPA  (Read 19566 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
Re: SN Ruthless Rye IPA
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2012, 04:28:21 pm »
I admit to being underwhelmed.  

I can see that, particularly if you are looking for a big rye character.  Certainly, if you compare it to your recipe, its lacking.  The rye that is there seems to add a twist that is subtle and not overbearing.  I like that.  And then the hop flavor and aroma is excellent.

Its just a good IPA in general, IMO.

Had it today for the first time. I liked it... what can I say? It was nicely different from any beer I've ever had, and that is good.  But I've never had or made Denny's RIPA.    

So you're saying if I make Denny's, I'll be even more pleased?  I think I just changed my spring brew schedule to fit that in.

Just quickly Googling Denny's recipe... I have Columbus on hand, but not Mt Hood. What can I sub to get it close?  Denny: a Tett or Hallertauer type?  Or something American like Amarillo or Centennial or Cascade or Willamette? I have all those on hand.

-red

EDIT: oh crap  ;D just noticed on some other forum where denny says "brew it just like this: no hop subs, no yeast subs..."  I guess I am ordering me some Mt Hoods then
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:09:48 pm by redzim »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2012, 06:20:35 pm »
Red, you could sub Hallertauer for Mt. Hood.  They're close enough so that I doubt you'd notice the difference.  And just to make sure you've got the right recipe...

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/DCRyeIPA
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2012, 06:26:37 pm »
Cool thanks Denny. I am going to give it a try.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:35 am »
The wife brought home a 6 pack yesterday.  Had it with the evening meal of wurst and sourkraut.  It went well with that meal.

It is not as asserive on the rye as I would have liked, but had a good balance.  If I want more rye, there is always Denny's recipe.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 03:44:24 pm »
I have to retract (or at least significantly qualify) my earlier comments. Based on this thread, when I saw some singles on the shelf at Trader Joe's, I bought one. Had it last night while cooking dinner, and really liked it. It's not as good as Denny's recipe, but it's definitely not the "meh" experience I had with the first bottle. Maybe I had a stuffy nose or something else that would have interfered with my palate.  In any event, not bad at all. Would like to try it on tap.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:00 pm »
I enjoy the products that SN puts out there, this was no different. I enjoyed the balance of rye to hops to bitterness. for a hophead like myself it could have used some more hops but overall the color, nose, and taste were good and I would buy another one
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.