Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st time using liquid yeast  (Read 20908 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 1st time using liquid yeast
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:28 am »
Are you better off making a starter?  Yes.

On the other hand, if you just pitch the liquid yeast and it will ferment and make beer.

The beer will likely be better beer if you make a starter, but honestly for your second batch you're probably fine without.

There are a lot of other variables you need to figure out/learn to control as well. Fermentation temperature is as important.

If the starter seems like a high hurdle at this point, don't worry about it.

But if you keep brewing, building up a starter is best practice and I wouldn't skip it.

I made lots of beer before I started making starters.  I make better beer now.

Well spoken, Joe!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:44 am »
Thanks!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:31 pm »
Are you better off making a starter?  Yes.

On the other hand, if you just pitch the liquid yeast and it will ferment and make beer.

The beer will likely be better beer if you make a starter, but honestly for your second batch you're probably fine without.

There are a lot of other variables you need to figure out/learn to control as well. Fermentation temperature is as important.

If the starter seems like a high hurdle at this point, don't worry about it.

But if you keep brewing, building up a starter is best practice and I wouldn't skip it.

I made lots of beer before I started making starters.  I make better beer now.

Well spoken, Joe!

agreed the advice is very much welcomed. I appreciate all the advice from everyone being newbie to this "hobby".
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 02:42:39 pm »
So i thought give an update on the yeast situation in my beer. I just pitched one vial (LHBS recommendation) w/o a starter at about 70F. the ambient room is temp is low 60's. it took a couple days but the yeast  was going crazy strong, it has since began to slow down. It looks like it will do the job and make some hopefully good tasting beer.
once again thanks for all the help, advice, and suggestions
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »
If you end up having to make one in the future, check out this guy's video: Billy Brew - How To Make a Yeast Starter

And there's always Palmer's How to Brew book.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 03:04:07 pm »
thanks for the link. yeah i believe that Joy of brewing by Charlie Papazian has a method as well

musseldoc

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 06:03:36 am »
I think it is even more important for new brewers to use starters.  I don't believe starters are just for advanced brewer trying to dial in the perfect yeast ester profile in their beer.  One of the biggest concerns with a new brewer is definitely going to be their sanitization practices.  If you pitch a new, inactive vial of yeast, the lag time will be longer than if you pitch an actively growing or fermenting starter.  This allows the yeast to get cranking in your beer MUCH faster, which will serve to protect you from minor errors in sanitization as the yeast will have a better chance of outcompeting other microbes. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 06:11:34 am »
I think it is even more important for new brewers to use starters.  I don't believe starters are just for advanced brewer trying to dial in the perfect yeast ester profile in their beer.  One of the biggest concerns with a new brewer is definitely going to be their sanitization practices.  If you pitch a new, inactive vial of yeast, the lag time will be longer than if you pitch an actively growing or fermenting starter.  This allows the yeast to get cranking in your beer MUCH faster, which will serve to protect you from minor errors in sanitization as the yeast will have a better chance of outcompeting other microbes.

I agree. I also like to suggest to new brewers to stick with dry yeast or pitch multiple vials/packs of liquid yeast until they are up to the 15 minute extra task of whipping up a starter. You don't need a starter with dry yeast and if you are using liquid yeast it is best to pitch a little extra since if you are not making a starter you are almost certainly underpitching and it is usually better to over pitch a little than under pitch.