Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jet burner clearances  (Read 3000 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Jet burner clearances
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:12:37 pm »
I have two natural gas jet burners in my three tier brewery.  The bottom one which is close to the floor burns very yellow.  The top one burns quite blue.  What is the proper clearance from the floor?  The bottom of the burner ring is only 1.75 inches from the floor.  The top of the tips are 2.25 inches from the bottom a flat bottom kettle.  The burner originally had 23 burner tips, but now only has 12 tips.

The burner can be seen at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30811465&l=98f3ffe745&id=1455129973

Thanks Kramer OG

Offline toddster

• Cellarman
Re: Jet burner clearances
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »
the reason for the yellow flame is incomplete combustion. you need more primary and/or secondary air. todd

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »
Opening the door wider seems to have fixed the problem.  But I still think that being so close to the floor chokes the flow of air a little.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:15:46 am »
I found raising the ring about 3" off the floor and ensuring good air-flow helped a great deal with my NG burners fuel-air mix. However, I'm keeping the kettle about 18" from the ring otherwise the flames shoot out from beneath LOL!!

Orange flame means fuel-rich atmosphere for those that don't know.

Kramer it looks like you might have some bi-metallic corrosion going on there with those hex screws plugging up the jet-holes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:59:51 pm »

Kramer it looks like you might have some bi-metallic corrosion going on there with those hex screws plugging up the jet-holes.

Euge,

I looked into it.  What you are seeing is dried wort from a boilover.  I'm not sure what the screws are made from exactly - some kind of steel?  Anyway I'll monitor the situation.  Thanks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »
LOL I thought it might be some wort!

Wasn't sure tho- :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis