Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: March Pump orientation/mounting tutorial  (Read 40779 times)

Offline walteratmarchpump

• Cellarman
March Pump orientation/mounting tutorial
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:25:39 am »
There are a few issues we have found over the years with beer brewers that seem to cause them problems. The most common is pump orientation. So i thought i would just go over the main points incase it help's someone tweak their system better or setup a new brew stand.
The first picture is usually how the pump comes straight out of the box. Pay no attention to the thread size as I just happen to take a custom one off the shelf here in the repair dept for this example. This one has 1" thread fittings on it.
As you can see the outlet is on the right hand side of the picture and the inlet is on the left. The outlet is higher to allow air to escape out of the pump. Some brewers have mounted the pump upside down and that results in an air pocket being trapped in the pump head (Refer to pic #2) When you go to start the pump up it will cavitate the air with the liquid and it’s a 50/50 chance it will be able to purge itself of that air. Best thing to do is take the 4 Phillips screws out and rotate the head 180* so the outlet is once again back on the right hand side when looking at it.
Ideally, if you have the room to rotate the pump head, the best orientation would be with the outlet facing straight up with the inlet on the bottom like in Pic #3
There have been a few people that we have seen with the inlet at the top and outlet on the bottom...that way can also trap air in the pump head (pic #4)

And lastly if space is an issue and the pump gets mounted vertically, then the best way to do that is with the pump head on top of the motor. This is usually met with resistance as most people think if the pump head leaks it will get the motor all wet. While that is true...this orientation is the only way to again get all the air out of the pump head and not have issues with cavitating. Pic #5
Pic #6 shows the way it should not be mounted....

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: March Pump orientation/mounting tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:55 am »
Thanks. That's good info.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »
Thanks, Walter.  I just upgraded my March 809 to the high flow impeller.  Hoping for good things!
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:44 am »
Good information, I have seen people put bleeder valves on the outlet side of the pump to pop that air bubble simply by adding a T and another valve.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:07:48 am »
Pictures and everything. This is really, really great info, and I definitely have mine mounted like #6 in the photo. Will change that this weekend for sure.

Walter, do you guys have housings you sell for multiple pumps? Or perhaps have any diagrams on how to build one? My two 809HS are 'loose' at the moment (took them inside for the winter and cleaned them etc) and I'd like a better/more portable solution than the bucket they're currently in.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:51:47 am »
Pictures and everything. This is really, really great info, and I definitely have mine mounted like #6 in the photo. Will change that this weekend for sure.

Walter, do you guys have housings you sell for multiple pumps? Or perhaps have any diagrams on how to build one? My two 809HS are 'loose' at the moment (took them inside for the winter and cleaned them etc) and I'd like a better/more portable solution than the bucket they're currently in.

I'm not quite sure i follow what you are saying... Do you mean if the pumps have different heads you fit on the motor brackets?? Then the answer is no...each bracket is designed to hold that pump. So all the 809 pumps are interchangeable but you wont be able to fit lets say one of the MDX pump heads on it or visa-versa.
And not quite sure what you mean by "Loose" if you mean its just there and not mounted down to anything then do a search on the internet. I dont knwo if anyone has posted it here before but i have seen other places where people have taken the 809 pump assembly and mounted it inside a plastic tool box with just teh pump head sticking out. Then they have a switch mounted on the top lid and when you open the lid up you have storgae for power cord and any fittings etc...

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:50 am »

I'm not quite sure i follow what you are saying... Do you mean if the pumps have different heads you fit on the motor brackets?? Then the answer is no...each bracket is designed to hold that pump. So all the 809 pumps are interchangeable but you wont be able to fit lets say one of the MDX pump heads on it or visa-versa.
And not quite sure what you mean by "Loose" if you mean its just there and not mounted down to anything then do a search on the internet. I dont knwo if anyone has posted it here before but i have seen other places where people have taken the 809 pump assembly and mounted it inside a plastic tool box with just teh pump head sticking out. Then they have a switch mounted on the top lid and when you open the lid up you have storgae for power cord and any fittings etc...

Yeah, tool box approach is what I'm getting at, but I don't wanna buy a toolbox just for a pump housing. I suppose I can just get a junction box :-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »
I mounted my two main pumps on my brew stand underneath a piece of expanded metal, but I also have a third pump for my CIP system on my fermenters that I built a small stand for similar to sabco's chill wizard just an 8x8 piece of diamond plate with some feet on it and a carry handle that has a waterproof switch box, works great.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 01:31:12 pm »
Awesome tutorial. Thanks Walter! I've been doing it wrong all this time.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:12:25 pm »
Thanks for the great info Walter!  I'll be getting my first pump this weekend to complete my whirlpool set up and this thread is really going to help out! 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 09:58:10 pm »
Another thank you and I can't believe I've been doing it wrong, why didn't I see my mistake?!?!
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline BanditBrewers

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 05:30:15 pm »
This is perfect thanks

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 07:27:48 am »
Walter, I have a question.  I have one of your March pumps that originally came with the polysulfone pump head.  I installed a stainless steel Chugger pump head on it several years ago.  I have the pump mounted vertically with the motor on the bottom.  It feeds an in-line stainless steel screen mounted vertically and a Dudadiesel plate chiller.  The output from the screen is about a foot higher than the pump head (the input to the screen is about 2 inches above the pump output) and the input to the plate chiller is about 4 inches lower than the pump head.  I have a ball valve on the output of the pump head with a boiler drain so that I can purge air from the pump.

When cleaning my fermenter, the impeller will sometimes stop with a thump and stops pumping cleaner through the system or will stop pumping and emit a loud squeal. I thought that the input to the pump was a bit small (3\8") so I replaced it with a 1\2" input to improve the liquid flow to the pump input.  This made things worse so I reverted back to my original setup.  I am wondering if this is a problem with the pump head or something I have overlooked with the configuration.  I still experience the same problem but not as bad as it did with the larger inlet.  I can usually alleviate the problem by elevating the input line so it is level with the pump head input (the dump port on the fermenter is also about a foot higher than the pump). Just an FYI, when I used a counterflow chiller before I got the plate chiller and stainless screen, I experienced no problems.  So I am wondering if I am configuring something wrong.  Maybe the chiller input needs to be higher?

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 11:00:23 am »
Walter, I have a question.  I have one of your March pumps that originally came with the polysulfone pump head.  I installed a stainless steel Chugger pump head on it several years ago.  I have the pump mounted vertically with the motor on the bottom.  It feeds an in-line stainless steel screen mounted vertically and a Dudadiesel plate chiller.  The output from the screen is about a foot higher than the pump head (the input to the screen is about 2 inches above the pump output) and the input to the plate chiller is about 4 inches lower than the pump head.  I have a ball valve on the output of the pump head with a boiler drain so that I can purge air from the pump.

When cleaning my fermenter, the impeller will sometimes stop with a thump and stops pumping cleaner through the system or will stop pumping and emit a loud squeal. I thought that the input to the pump was a bit small (3\8") so I replaced it with a 1\2" input to improve the liquid flow to the pump input.  This made things worse so I reverted back to my original setup.  I am wondering if this is a problem with the pump head or something I have overlooked with the configuration.  I still experience the same problem but not as bad as it did with the larger inlet.  I can usually alleviate the problem by elevating the input line so it is level with the pump head input (the dump port on the fermenter is also about a foot higher than the pump). Just an FYI, when I used a counterflow chiller before I got the plate chiller and stainless screen, I experienced no problems.  So I am wondering if I am configuring something wrong.  Maybe the chiller input needs to be higher?

Hmmm well its hard to say without seeing things first hand....And even though Chugger did copy our product almost down tot he T i cant say for sure if they have the same number of poles on their magnets as we do. First thing i would do is take the pump head apart and make sure everything inside is ok...meaning is the thrust washer there and the impeller isn't biding on the shaft. If you do have binding due to a sugar buildup etc....the easiest hing to do would be to drill out the impeller with a 17/64" drill bit and open the bore up.
If your missing the thrust washer you can go to the local hardware store and find yourself a stainless washer with a 1/4" hole that fits over the shaft where the impeller spins....just don't get one too big on the OD or you will start blocking the inlet flow of liquid. Other then that all i can say is send the pump back to us here and let Wayne in the service dept run it on our test tank to see if he can find anything that may be out of whack with it...

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 03:03:30 pm »
I have to add a wow and a thumbs up here.  Pretty cool to see a response other than "sorry, you modified it is not our concern."  Love my March pumps and will bookmark this thread "just in case."