Author Topic: glass carboy blow off tube ?  (Read 367 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • View Profile
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
glass carboy blow off tube ?
« on: December 11, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »
So I was just gifted a glass carboy.  I was wondering what do I need for a bung and blowoff tube set up? I've never used a carboy before so I dont know what to purchase.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
glass carboy blow off tube ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
Some people like to use the orange hoods, but a 1” ID tube jammed into the hole works well too. In a pinch, 3/8 ID tubing will fit over the center post of an airlock.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:12:16 PM by Stevie »

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: glass carboy blow off tube ?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
I think glass carboys usually take a #6.5 stopper. 

https://www.morebeer.com/products/stopper-65-hole.html?site_id=9

They also make universal carboy stoppers that are tapered.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/rubber-stopper-universal-hole.html

Or you could use a carboy cap.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/carboy-blow-hood-smooth-neck-carboys.html

For blowoff, you can attach tubing to the airlock or use tubing large enough to fit directly in the neck (for which I think the right size is 1" I.D, 1.25" O.D.)

Be excellent to each other

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
I typically use my thermowell for the carboy bung/stopper and for my blow-off (when needed, strain dependent) I use a 3 piece airlock with cap and bell removed. A thick wall 3/8 ID tubing for my blowoff hose fits right over the airlock center piece.

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:52:57 PM »
I typically use my thermowell for the carboy bung/stopper and for my blow-off (when needed, strain dependent) I use a 3 piece airlock with cap and bell removed. A thick wall 3/8 ID tubing for my blowoff hose fits right over the airlock center piece.

I used to do this all the time but the base of the 3 piece air lock tended to get plugged.

What I have been doing for the past 2 or 3 years is cutting short pieces (3" or so) of a plastic racking cane I broke.  I put a section of tubing on the 3" pipe. 

I've never been sure what size tubing to use to just stuff it in the neck.  1 1/4" OD just got put in my notes file.Thanks!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • View Profile
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:19:47 PM »
thank you! parts ordered!

Offline Robert

• Brewer
  • Lager? Cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
Some people like to use the orange hoods, but a 1” ID tube jammed into the hole works well too. In a pinch, 3/8 ID tubing will fit over the center post of an airlock.

If it's a 5 or 6 gal. carboy (I'm not sure about 6.5) the 1" id tube fits great and is my preference.  It's simple (fewer parts=fewer problems) and anything smaller (caps, tubes on locks, etc.) has the potential to clog, causing the blow off to blow out. 
Rob
Akron, Ohio

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Oft-forgotten corollary:  "Well, if it's broke, git after fixin' it!"

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem -- neat, plausible, and wrong."  Mencken

Offline jkirkham

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:18:43 AM »
So I was just gifted a glass carboy.  I was wondering what do I need for a bung and blowoff tube set up? I've never used a carboy before so I dont know what to purchase.
I use a thermo well and/or a bung, depending on what I am making and if I need good temp control. I run about a 2-3’ of 3/8” tubing from the bung into a growler that has sanitizer in it. Depending on the blow off, for cleaning I just soak those materials for a long duration. And use a 4’ pipe cleaner to get residue off the tube. After a few days you can take your blow off tube off and replace it with an airlock.

Recently I have only used blowoff valves, I used to leave head space re continue to replace air locks.
Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year

Offline Kevin

• Cellarman
  • Free from the Style Police!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 07:29:55 PM »
I forget the diameter... 1"? 1.25"?... but I have a length of hose that fits right into the neck of the carboy. No bungs or caps needed.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Robert

• Brewer
  • Lager? Cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:53:21 PM »
I forget the diameter... 1"? 1.25"?... but I have a length of hose that fits right into the neck of the carboy. No bungs or caps needed.
1" id... Or just ask LHBS for a blow off tube, they probably stock this diameter!
Rob
Akron, Ohio

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Oft-forgotten corollary:  "Well, if it's broke, git after fixin' it!"

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem -- neat, plausible, and wrong."  Mencken