Author Topic: Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer  (Read 5820 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
Re: Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2018, 03:14:14 AM »
JT, Will at Listermann's says he loves them but they were over MSRP in store. When eBay was kicking back 20% up to $100, I got the 2 for $108 each, free shipping!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2018, 03:31:07 AM »
But my concern is, can it handle the punishment of my swirling up the yeast and impacting on the internals?  Seems it might be a delicate instrument.   Otherwise I keep brewing long enough to allow lots of samples.
Rob
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
But my concern is, can it handle the punishment of my swirling up the yeast and impacting on the internals?  Seems it might be a delicate instrument.   Otherwise I keep brewing long enough to allow lots of samples.
Having looked at them, I wouldn't be at all concerned with swirling a carboy and having them bump the sides.  They are encased in hard plastic. 

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
I plan on harvesting yeast as well after racking to sound, so won't really be swirling with them in there. I suppose I wouldn't take a chance with a $100+ purchase, but the plastic is pretty hard. Don't think you could crack the case easily, but the insides would have to be pretty sensitive to do what it does

Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline mabrungard

• Brewmaster General
  • Water matters!
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2018, 01:37:00 PM »
They are encased in a plexiglass container. I have no worry about them being intact from a swirl, but I would be cautious to avoid getting them scratched up since bugs could inhabit those crevices. On second thought, there are gaskets at each end of the cylinder and that is already a point that should recieve careful sanitation attention.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »
I plan on harvesting yeast as well after racking to sound, so won't really be swirling with them in there. I suppose I wouldn't take a chance with a $100+ purchase, but the plastic is pretty hard. Don't think you could crack the case easily, but the insides would have to be pretty sensitive to do what it does

Yeah, that was my concern, not the case, but the g-forces to the instrument inside.  Again, there's equipment inside my Speidel, and I do a closed transfer, swirl the yeast, and only then open it up and pour off into a sanitized jar.  I wouldn't like to reach my arm in and fish out the Tilt before  collecting the yeast.  I can see this being more appropriate in a conical if harvesting yeast is part of the program.
Rob
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MerlinWerks

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Today at 08:07:04 PM »
Kind of curious.   But I have questions.   I like to harvest yeast, but I ferment not in a conical, but a Speidel, with draw tube and thermowell intruding near the bottom, and I have visions of my $135 toy getting swirlied and whacked on the equipment as I break up the cake for harvesting.   Just how robust are these gizmos?

I've used two of these for about 75 batches now and I have Speidels and harvest yeast as well. I just open up and remove the Tilt with a pair of sanitized tongs before kegging. I know a lot of people will balk at the O2 ingress with opening the fermenter these days, but its only a couple of seconds, it's getting transferred immediately to the keg and the the most exposed layer of wort gets left in the fermenter anyway. My beer still tastes great and I harvest healthy yeast out to eight generations or so, I'm OK with the process.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:30:07 PM by MerlinWerks »

Offline mabrungard

• Brewmaster General
  • Water matters!
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #52 on: Today at 09:29:16 PM »
Why do you pull the Tilt before running off the beer? I runoff the beer and then reach in to pull the Tilt and grab any slurry I want to save.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BrewBama

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Today at 10:24:51 PM »
I see there have been updates. Anyone have a new version?  Do the new features work as advertised?

Here are some of the new features of the Tilt:

Range: Better reception and range. With the increased transmission power your Tilt will send data through larger, thicker-walled fermenters.

Precision: Upgraded sensors. With an improved temperature sensor and accelerometer your Tilt will operate with more precision. 

Efficiency: We've reduced power consumption so more brews, less battery.

New Look: Newly designed custom circuit board and harness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Huntsville AL