Author Topic: Questions you may have about March Pumps? post them here  (Read 62795 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions you may have about March Pumps? post them here
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
Are you using disconnects? If so, what type? Links? Is there a leak causing cavitation?

Are you expecting a huge vortex when you should be expecting a decent stir? Is the wort moving at all?

Offline rtemplen

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
I am not using disconnects. The 5/8" short length silicone hosing is simply slipped over the 5/8" barbs and held in place with hose clamps tightly. No visible movement is seen on the top of the wort unless a leaf (or something similar) is placed on top of the liquid and then it would take ~8-10s to travel the circumference of the kettle back to its starting position. I would like a vortex to be enough to generate the purpose of a whirlpool, which is to drop material in the work into a cone in the bottom center of the kettle. Currently the 809 HS and this 30 gallon kettle combination do not provide this whirlpool effect.

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »
It might just be too much pressure for the pump. Try in series with your buddies chugger. Out of march plumbed to the in of the chugger.

Is there a way to restrict the out flow inside the kettle?

Larger pumps do exist, but carry a premium price.

I have a 16 gallon kettle and get a solid whirlpool of going without fail.

Email March or Northern Brewer to see what the recommend.

Offline rtemplen

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:49 PM »
I asked in the store last weekend at Midwest Supplies (same company as Northern Brewer) when picking up yeast for the Surly AHA wort release. 5 or 6 of their staff was stumped with this problem and stated they do not sell a larger pump. They started googling on their phones to now avail, hence while I am giving this forum a try for my first time. I am not sure what you are referring to be restricting flow inside the kettle. There is a ball valve on the outlet port of the kettle (like most kettles) and a ball valve on the input port (tangential port), also on the outlet side of my pump I have a ball valve, these are all wide open and 1/2" or 5/8" if I recall.

Any additional advice is welcome. Thank you!

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 12:16:18 PM »
I mean the port on the inside. Like putting your thumb over a hose creates a smaller higher pressure stream. Maybe the stream is too large with little oomph behind it.

MoreBeer sells a large pump and I know March makes pumps that cover many brewery volumes.

Offline walteratmarchpump

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
First thing i would do is change your outlet line to 1/2" ID....the output of our pumps are spec'd according to that line size.....so going bigger may help in less friction but keep i mind you then have to fight against the weight of the fluid in the line at the same time. So going smaller in your case may help keep the velocity of the fluid up and help start the whirlpool faster. Another option would be to upgrade your impeller to the 815 model. The 809-HS pumps and the 815 pumps are virtually the same other then the impellers inside them. so that impeller change would be able to boost the output head height from 12' up to about 18' so it in essence would gain you an extra 2.6psi over what you can make right now.
Any other questions feel free to email me at work wwojcik at marchpump dot com :D (i spelled it so the email harvesters would get it :D )

Offline rtemplen

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
Hi Walter I sent you an email last week with some additional questions, please let me know if you did not receive it.

Offline walteratmarchpump

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »
Hi Walter I sent you an email last week with some additional questions, please let me know if you did not receive it.

I usually reply to emails the same day unless its over the weekend...so if you didnt get a reply from me by now then i must have not got it....did you send it to my email or to one off the website? If it went to sales then it may not have been directed back to me....