Author Topic: Questions you may have about March Pumps? post them here  (Read 47428 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Questions you may have about March Pumps? post them here
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »
My first thought was take off the head and take it apart. See what's going on with the impeller. Could be junk in there or some other problem binding up the impeller.

That's exactly what happened to mine recently.  Took it apart and cleaned it out and it worked great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline awiens

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
I am trying to determine my need for a pump with my set up. I currently brew 5 gallon batches and use a 10 g HLT, 10 g cooler mash tun, and a 15 g kettle to brew. I'm considering a pump for moving water from my HLT to my cooler. Right now, I have to pick up the 5+ gallons of 150 degree + mash water and dump it into my cooler, and I know it's only a matter of time before I dump this on myself in some capacity. My question is this: Are there effective alternatives to investing in a pump? I don't have the materials to use a gravity fed system to simply drain it down. Any suggestions regarding alternatives or additional info on pumps would be greatly appreciated! Happy brewing!

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 06:39:15 PM »
Gravity setup would be quite tall and require a ladder. Pump is nice  but you'll soon discover you want fittings and hoses and clamps. The only other techniques I've heard of involve using pulleys or block and tackle to raise containers full of hot liquor or mash.
Still seems dangerous to me. Personally I like my pump and my setup and don't plan to go back to a gravity setup.
Growing Centennial, Columbus and Chinook hops.
Brewing IPA, APA, Dead Guy clone, and American Wheat most of the time.
Located in Three Rivers MI

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 01:47:38 AM »
I am trying to determine my need for a pump with my set up. I currently brew 5 gallon batches and use a 10 g HLT, 10 g cooler mash tun, and a 15 g kettle to brew. I'm considering a pump for moving water from my HLT to my cooler. Right now, I have to pick up the 5+ gallons of 150 degree + mash water and dump it into my cooler, and I know it's only a matter of time before I dump this on myself in some capacity. My question is this: Are there effective alternatives to investing in a pump? I don't have the materials to use a gravity fed system to simply drain it down. Any suggestions regarding alternatives or additional info on pumps would be greatly appreciated! Happy brewing!

I have a 2 quart pitcher that I use for sparge water. Pretty low tech.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »

I have a 2 quart pitcher that I use for sparge water. Pretty low tech.

Yep, same here.  Dip with the pitcher until the kettle is light enough to lift.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline awiens

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »
I like the pitcher idea! Do you lose much heat? I'm all about simplicity. Every time I've tried to "tech it up," I've ended up making brewing more difficult and created more potential for things to go wrong or leak!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
+1 for using a pitcher till the pot is light enough to lift. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »
I like the pitcher idea! Do you lose much heat? I'm all about simplicity. Every time I've tried to "tech it up," I've ended up making brewing more difficult and created more potential for things to go wrong or leak!

I have a stainless mash tun. So my mash water starts in the tun. But I heat sparge water in an hlt. I don't notice much temp loss caused by the pitcher  when I transfer that. Its usually 170° when I start and ends up about 160-165 for mash out.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »

Nah, not enough heat to matter.  If you find you do, you can always bump up the water temp next time to compensate.  Take a look at www.dennybrew.com

www.dennybrew.com