Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Carbonating  (Read 14520 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Keg Carbonating
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:55 am »
You should really weigh the sugar not measure it in "cups". I routinely use 3oz sugar for 5 gallons in a keg. If I were to bottle then it would be 4oz for the same 5 gallons.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:17 pm »
Since I'm no longer bottling, it's sort of irrelevant...  At least to me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:04 am »
Also, if you were going to prime the keg with sugar - you use less due to the difference in headspace in the keg vs bottles. Usually 1/3 cup is about all that's needed to carbonate it.

Huh??  Unless you are knocking out lots of CO2 during the bottling process, it should take exactly the same amount of sugar to carb a keg as bottles.  It takes the same number of molecules of CO2 to get beer to a given volume of CO2 disolved.  Now, temperature during fermentation and bottling make a difference.  A lager should take much less sugar than an ale, due to the larger amount of fermentation-derived CO2 in the beer at a colder temperature. 

The head space might make a teeny tiny difference, but it shouldn't make much.

I always read that and assumed it was differences in headspace, but not that I calculated it there probably isn't much of a difference. I have read to use less sugar to carbonate kegs than bottles though. Hmm.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »
Like somebody said........ sugar is for boosting the octane. CO2 bottles are for carbonating.  ;)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 03:15:17 pm »
I've been a little dormant on the forum lately and just came back to this.  I decided to just stock my fridge with kegs and force-carb the one that is next in line for consumption.

I thought the reason to not use as much corn sugar in the mini kegs was because they could not take the pressure.  I would think the same amount in regular kegs would be appropriate.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 03:30:24 pm »
I've rigged up a system to force carbonate mini-kegs and they take 40 lbs of pressure with no problem, so I don't think their ability to withstand the pressure is the issue.

On the one or two kegs that popped out into pointy kegs when primed with sugar, the beer was wildly over-carbonated.  Wildly.  It's the once instance where I came close to injury in home brewing.

I've heard the same advice to "under prime" corny kegs, so I have to think there are other reasons.  But I don't know what those reasons might be.

It's easy enough for someone who wants to prime their kegs to do a side by side experiment.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »
Many years ago I witnessed what happens to fully carbed mini-keg when you add in a bit of shaking due to a 4 hour road trip.  Let's just say, we didn't ever use that keg again.  It held but it didn't sit flat anymore.   8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 11:36:15 pm »
I've rigged up a system to force carbonate mini-kegs and they take 40 lbs of pressure with no problem, so I don't think their ability to withstand the pressure is the issue.

On the one or two kegs that popped out into pointy kegs when primed with sugar, the beer was wildly over-carbonated.  Wildly.  It's the once instance where I came close to injury in home brewing.

I've heard the same advice to "under prime" corny kegs, so I have to think there are other reasons.  But I don't know what those reasons might be.

It's easy enough for someone who wants to prime their kegs to do a side by side experiment.

Sounds like those kegs were infected. Don't cornies say not to exceed 150 psi? Basically they are steel bottles.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 02:03:39 am »

Sounds like those kegs were infected. Don't cornies say not to exceed 150 psi? Basically they are steel bottles.
The one i just checked said 130 PSI.  It may vary by manufacturer, but yeah, it's something really high.  I don't know about the mini-kegs though, I've never used them.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 09:51:44 am »
The one i just checked said 130 PSI.  It may vary by manufacturer, but yeah, it's something really high.  I don't know about the mini-kegs though, I've never used them.

I think 130-135 is pretty standard.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 10:02:45 am »

Not cornies.  Mini-kegs.  They are MUCH thinner steel, as they are technically disposable.

I've also pinged one out injecting it with a small CO2 cartridge, so their ability to withstand pressure is substantially lower than a cornie.  The tap stayed in just fine and all that holds it is the barbed fitting, but the bottom popped out on the keg.