Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grape Juice (source request)  (Read 7565 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Grape Juice (source request)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »
I get mine for free out of the woods.
All right tubercle, I'll bite - what the hell are you talking about? :)

Muscadine Grape (Vitis Rotundifolia) I believe. He talked about it before.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 06:05:25 am »

Euge is correct (ding, ding,ding, ding)!!!! I also have several planted on trellises (or is it trelli ?) in the yard along with concord and Zinfandel; the latter two are not producing yet.

All that is needed is a space 3ft wide x 10ft long with good light exposure to plant one. 2 year old vines are under $10 on the net and I have even seen poor, dried up specimens in the big box stores.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 12:09:21 pm »

Euge is correct (ding, ding,ding, ding)!!!! I also have several planted on trellises (or is it trelli ?) in the yard along with concord and Zinfandel; the latter two are not producing yet.

All that is needed is a space 3ft wide x 10ft long with good light exposure to plant one. 2 year old vines are under $10 on the net and I have even seen poor, dried up specimens in the big box stores.
I think my brother has some on trellises at his place in NC, but I didn't know they just grew wild in the woods.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »

I think my brother has some on trellises at his place in NC, but I didn't know they just grew wild in the woods.

They are everywhere. I have them come up all along my property. I'm constantly cutting them down every year. Every wood lot in the S.E. are full of them. You can stand anywhere in the woods in SC and see 10 vines from where you stand...no exageration. A friend goes every year to the Sumter National forrest (see also: Sumter National Forrest ) in Union County with four 55 gallon drums in the back of his pickup and fills them in one day. Wine time :D

Muscadine
Scuppernong

I buy my "cultavated" vines here and here
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:28:41 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:00 am »
I've harvested a few pounds of grapes in the foothills here in CO, but nothing like filling 55gallon drums!  :o

There's lots of wild grapes around, but they are tiny and are super astringent (require lots of sugar), so I've not really experimented with them too much (just mixing them into ice cream mostly).  Wild grapes and wild hops like the same areas.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option of planting a vine or vineyard for that matter as I am a lowly renter.  Once we get a house, I'll get some grapes in the ground.