Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What makes a recipe "yours"?  (Read 9537 times)

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
What makes a recipe "yours"?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:06 am »
I've used JZ's recipes from Brewing Classic Styles quite a bit. As a newer brewer the book has been very helpful over the last year or so. At first I would look stuff up on the internet but realized that only god knows how good that beer would turn out. Like others said after brewing it once I start making changes to suit my tastes. I think at that point it becomes mine.  It's been a great learning experience... brewed his Cal Common and discovered that I am not a big fan for Northern Brewer hops :).

I also have brewed a couple of Denny's recipes (thanks Denny!!) which have found very little to change because they come out so damn good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: What makes a recipe "yours"?
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 12:00:18 pm »

I also have brewed a couple of Denny's recipes (thanks Denny!!) which have found very little to change because they come out so damn good.

brown noser. ;D
Don AHA member

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 07:04:32 pm »
Just my opinion when you use your water its your brew.  Brew it anywhere else and it won't taste exactly the same.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 07:34:31 pm »
Just my opinion when you use your water its your brew.  Brew it anywhere else and it won't taste exactly the same.

Excellent point!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 08:09:43 pm »

Excellent point!

Except that the OP was not about results, but about recipe.

Certainly when you brew it, its your beer.

But if you brewed Denny's BVIP or Papazian's Goat Scrotum Porter, the recipe was theirs and the beer is yours.

If you looked at their recipes, among others, and crafted one of your own, or adjusted their recipe to your tastes/ingredients/equipment then it might just be yours.

So when does the recipe become yours, is the question I believe was asked.

It's more than just brewing it, but there's also a continuum from theirs to yours.  Unless you crafted the recipe on your own.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 08:41:48 pm »

Excellent point!

Except that the OP was not about results, but about recipe.

Certainly when you brew it, its your beer.

But if you brewed Denny's BVIP or Papazian's Goat Scrotum Porter, the recipe was theirs and the beer is yours.

If you looked at their recipes, among others, and crafted one of your own, or adjusted their recipe to your tastes/ingredients/equipment then it might just be yours.

So when does the recipe become yours, is the question I believe was asked.

It's more than just brewing it, but there's also a continuum from theirs to yours.  Unless you crafted the recipe on your own.

I'd bet that most new recipes are inspired by one or more previous recipes, be it yours or by others. How far back do you give credit?

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »
I wonder if this is why breweries like Dogfish Head always do such odd, yet excellent, beers. We can tweak the classics or invent new ones... Either way we get to enjoy our nectar of the Gods!  8)
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:47 am »
I'd bet that most new recipes are inspired by one or more previous recipes, be it yours or by others. How far back do you give credit?

Absolutely. That's pretty much my earlier point that all recipes are pretty much derivative.

If you're making a beer to style, there's really only so much variation in the recipe.  Even if you start from scratch, you're working within guidelines.

Who created the first Pilsner?  I have no idea.

I think if you adapt a recipe, you ought to give credit but if you create it on your own it's yours.

But it's likely the ingredient list will be not too different from a whole bunch of other recipes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:17:58 am by Joe Sr. »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:55 pm »

Who created the first Pilsner?  I have no idea.

Credit is given to Josef Groll at the Pilsner Urquell brewery, known in that time as the Burgers' Brewery.  He was a German working in Bohemia.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 09:25:26 pm »
Credit is given to Josef Groll at the Pilsner Urquell brewery, known in that time as the Burgers' Brewery.  He was a German working in Bohemia.

From wikipedia: Josef Groll died on 22 October 1887, aged 74. He died at the regulars' table of the public house Wolferstetter Keller in Vilshofen, drinking beer.

What an AWESOME way to die!
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 06:24:49 am »

Exactly, how else would we have styles?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958