Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st bad brew = sweet release?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
1st bad brew = sweet release?
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:02:24 pm »
I finally did it!  I brewed a batch that will never be good enough to drink!  It was a "what ingredients do I have left" sort of brew and to be quite honest, I am happy it was shyte!  Some Golden Promise, some Rauchmalt, wheat, middle of the road carmel malt, orange peel, summit and fuggles (the summit was a loss to me) and some San Diego Super Yeast that I messed up.  The beer seems to have actually done alright with the yeast mess up but in the end, it all sucks.

So my question is, has anyone else been happy that they finally brewed something that was dry-heave worthy?  I am not saying all of my previous batches were godsends but you could drink the whole glass.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
Re: 1st bad brew = sweet release?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:17 pm »
I've made a couple that I thought were foul, but I've found friends willing to drain for me.  the worst I made was an imperial amber.  I added way too much base malt going for a mac n jack's african amber type, but ended up close to 8% and nowhere near enough hops to balance it out.  all I could taste was the alcohol, very solventy.  one of my friends loved it tho, she drank nearly the entire keg over a six week span at our weekly game night. 
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »
I made a Christmas Ale one time that I thought was the worst thing that could ever be brewed.  I gave up on it and forgot about.  After 3 years, when I found it back, it had mellowed and become an Ok beer.  Not good enough to ever bother with again but not the swill it was after 6 months.

I can't say I've ever been happy to have brewed something nasty but to each there own, and then some. 8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:38:18 pm »
Back in 1993 I brewed a beer that for some reason I was inspired to add spruce extract to.  Well that was a lesson in less is more.  The common theme in descriptors from those that drank it were a combination of soil, conifer and organic fertilizer. :P
My gin loving friend Gino drank most of that batch. It mellowed a bit with time but it was not good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:00:46 pm by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 12:58:03 pm »
Back in 1993 I brewed a beer that for some reason I was inspired to add spruce extract to.  Well that was a lesson in less is more.  The common theme in descriptors from those that drank it were a combination of soil, conifer and organic fertilizer. :P
My gin loving friend Gino drank most of that batch. I mellowed a bit with time but it was not good.

I suppose there is always someone willing to toss it back. 

This one is just way to sweet and has too many after tastes to it.  If you have ever seen the SNL skit with Will Ferrell drinking his homemade Mondavi wine, it reminded me of that.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:52:19 pm »
Can't say I've ever been happy to brew a bad beer.  Matter of fact, I'm usually very disappointed when it turns out that way.
Jesse

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 02:18:09 pm »

My gin loving friend Gino drank most of that batch. I mellowed a bit with time but it was not good.

I suppose there is always someone willing to toss it back. 

especially if it's free. my first attempt at a pliny type beer tasted like grass cuttings that steeped overnight in rubbing alcohol.  I know one guy who loved it.  it did mellow well with age, but when it was still green it was just disgusting.
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:20 am »
My latest brew was a leftover beer that didn't exactly work. It's still pretty good, but it's not what I had in mind. I used Hallertau Hersbrucker, Nelson sauvin and amarillo hops and maybe a bit too much caramel malt. My head said it would work well but my gut didn't completely agree. I know my gut knows what it's talking about with these things. The only thing I guess I could say I'm happy about is that it reminded me that I need listen to my damn gut.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:32:24 pm »
In 10 years, I have had 3 batches that were ultimately unfit for further consumption.

1.  Infected Helles a/k/a "Headache Helles"
2.  Hefeweizen that called for 3 oz. of caramunich and I accidentilly ordered 3 lbs of caramunich and tossed it in without noticing.  a/k/a "Caraweizen"
3.  German Pilsner that I rushed to get on tap.  Horrible acetaldeyhyde problem that could not be fixed.  a/k/a "Granny's Apple Pils"
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 06:03:29 pm »
I made a honey basil ale for my mom once...and never again.  was brewed right, but the basil was very prevailing...not saying you shouldnt brew with basil, but less can be more in this case. 

Cheers,

Keep Brewing.
mmmm....beer