Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Retirement?  (Read 10873 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Retirement?
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2012, 02:39:36 pm »
I'm thinking Hawaii might be the ideal place to retire...at least from the weather standpoint.   8)

That's my plan.  Wife and I are closing on a condo in Kihei, Maui.  Using it as an investment vehicle which we'll rent out to vacationers and of course use when we visit.  This is part one of our retirement plan.
But how's the cost of living down there?  Costa Rica looked like a great alternative to Hawaii, at least it did a few years ago.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »
I'm thinking Hawaii might be the ideal place to retire...at least from the weather standpoint.   8)

That's my plan.  Wife and I are closing on a condo in Kihei, Maui.  Using it as an investment vehicle which we'll rent out to vacationers and of course use when we visit.  This is part one of our retirement plan.
But how's the cost of living down there?  Costa Rica looked like a great alternative to Hawaii, at least it did a few years ago.

Can't compare Maui to Costa Rica because I've never been to CR, yet, Maui is not the cheapest place to live in terms of living expenses. Certain items like gas, milk and other groceries are going to be some of the highest in the country.  Yet, property taxes are very low (a lot lower than it is here in Denver).  It's also a different lifestyle (beaches are free), so brew some beer, hang at the beach, catch some fish, and live in bliss!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 09:28:28 pm »

Yes, Costa Rica is way more desirable than Hawaii!

BTW Kihei is the Hawaiian word for sacrificial anode.   ;) 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 02:21:59 am »

It's ok, he'll be moved in before he gets burned out.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 06:42:11 am »

I'll gladly take one for the team and set roots down at the base of Haleakala and take up residence in South Maui.  Although, if I'm waiting for retirement, then that's probably a good 30 years away! ;D
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg