Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: new charcoal pit?  (Read 4949 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
new charcoal pit?
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:15:42 pm »
I have a birthday coming up in a few days and have been given the greenlight to get a new bbq pit.  I have a nice smoker, a larger old style new braunfels hondo style.  I also have a decent propane grill, a clamshell weber model that I really like.  For charcoal grill, I have been using "recycled" grills for a few years.  Like old propane grills converted to charcoal.   

I am ready for a new grill.  I am a bit intrigued by the green egg, but dont like the price tag.  200 bizillion happy customers of the weber cannot be too wrong.  I also like the concept of the UDS - ugly barrel style.  I am also leaning towards a pretty weber like the performer with the built in table.  (they have it at my local ace hardware). 

In short.  after 35 years of a lifetime of bbq, I dont know what grill I want next.  Does anyone have any thoughts - good or bad about grills?  I don't need a smoker, wont be doing brisket or ribs or pork shoulders on it - I am covered there.  I just want a decent nice temp grill to use charcoal and mesquite/oak on when the dinner requires so.  What works for you guys and what would you suggest I seriously consider? 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: new charcoal pit?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »
I grill on a Weber kettle grill.  Always have.

You can use it as a smoker if you must, though it's not ideal.

I've cooked everything on this thing and the one in the yard is 15+ years old.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:25:04 pm »
I have a Weber as well. It works good for grilling and BBQ. Smoking can be accomplished also. I think it can accommodate a open ended drum (resting on top) and convert to a proper smoker like a UDS.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:38:09 pm »
Menards, if you got one close, have a egg like grill for $299.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:59:24 pm »
Build your own. Cheaper and better.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:37 am »
If you are any where near Seattle, I'll help you put together a UDS.  It ridiculously easy, but I'll be helping a friend of mine do his soon I think, so one more is no big deal.

That said, if you don't want it for smoking I think just about anything out there will work fine as a charcoal grill.  I think it would just depend on how big you want it to be, but a drum certainly works well if you want a big one.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:35:02 am »
The Weber Kettle is very versatile and the right price. I use it more than any of my other BBQ equipment. You can grill, hot smoke, cold smoke or use it as a hand warmer. It's easy to clean and is has a very even heating gradient. I highly recommend it.  :)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:12:35 am »
The Weber Kettle is very versatile and the right price. I use it more than any of my other BBQ equipment. You can grill, hot smoke, cold smoke or use it as a hand warmer. It's easy to clean and is has a very even heating gradient. I highly recommend it.  :)

hmmmmm .... I've been meaning to get a new hand warmer.  ;D

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:04:48 am »
I have 2 Weber Kettles.  An 18" one and a 27" (I think) that work great.  I've used a lot of cheap or at least lower end grills and would not buy any of them over the Weber.  It's consistent and dependable.  For me at least.

Paul

*** Edited because I forgot a word.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:30 am »

Ron - tell me more about cold smoking on a Weber.

Hot smoking and grilling I have under control.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:42:09 am »

Ron - tell me more about cold smoking on a Weber.

Hot smoking and grilling I have under control.

It can be done a few different ways. The cheapest and easiest way is using a cold smoke generator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7j11-buJ8E

...or if you are really serious, you may want to go this route.

http://webercam.com/2007/08/cold-smoking-weber-mod-v-20.html

Ron Price

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 10:59:57 am »
Any ideas on where to find something like that Thunderbelly?

That's exactly the sort of contraption that would make my Weber even more awesome.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 11:06:12 am »
Any ideas on where to find something like that Thunderbelly?

That's exactly the sort of contraption that would make my Weber even more awesome.

Good question...their site is down right now. If you know of a local Sheet Metal shop, I'm sure they could fabricate one for nominal fee. I would recommend doing some searches on Thunderbelly.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:19 am »
I have the proq and like it quite a bit.  You can get a similar one called the a-maze-n smoker.

http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/Order%20USA.html
http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

I've ordered dust from amazen and it works well in the proq.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 12:03:23 pm »
Just can't beat a Weber for grillin'.  I have a 18.5" OTS & a Smokey Joe, but if there were a few extra funds there would be a 22.5" OTG for sure!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!