Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I brew  (Read 10054 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: Why I brew
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 01:50:20 pm »
This is a good and worthy conversation....I brew for me.  Once in a while my beer, dialed in for me, is better than anyone can get anywhere.....but I don't care....I brew for me.

I do occasionally enter beer in competition, for no other reason than to get feedback.  I usually fill a recycled bottle(s) from tap and send it in...usually just one or two.

I don't begrudge those who brew for competition, or are moving in a professional direction....but think that brewing with the goal of winning gold at NHC, let alone Ninkaski?  Seems pretty shallow of an endeavor to me (as in, personally unfulfilling) for a homebrewer.  I think we all know of awesome beers that personally speak to us that haven't recently metaled at GABF (or anywhere).

A good beer is the one that is perfect for you at the time you are tasting it....be it a BJCP competition score of 28 or 48....it doesn't matter, be it BMC or Chimay, ABV of 3% or 13%, or IBU of 12 or 122.

Of course, I sometimes wish I could taste and identify every flaw in beer....but in so many ways, am glad I can't.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 05:59:53 am »
Here's another reason why I brew:

I get to say "I made this, and it's really good!"

8)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 08:52:23 am »
In 1977 when homebrewing became legal a friend of mine took it up. He made the best tasting beer I had ever tried. Of course back then all that was available in America were bland pilsners. Bud, Blue Ribbon, Hamms the beer refreshing, Shlitz, etc. Light beer had not even been invented yet.

I was always fascinated with it after that but never had the time, space, or opportunity to try it until a couple years ago. Of course by then the craft beer boom was really picking up momentum and I could buy good beer. But I like to tweak and perfect, plus I was still fascinated with the idea of it.

Since then I have discovered the ever learning aspect of the hobby. I like that. I used to play a lot of tournament chess and that was what made chess fun to me as well. Plus, I have found that once I have the equipment, brewing is much cheaper than buying beer. I recently went to the liquor store and picked up a 6 of Sam Adams Red Ale, a 6 of Odell's Red Ale, and a 6 of Sam Adams Alpine Spring. The ticket came to over $28. I walked out of there thinking I spend less than that making 2 cases. The kicker is I actually liked my last red ale than either of the professionally made ones I bought.

I have thought it might be fun to go pro on some level. But then it would become a job. And anything that becomes a job isn't fun anymore. I am not brewing to enter any contests. I am brewing for fun and to have beer actually designed just for my own taste.

Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 08:59:41 am »
Because I love it.  :)
Ron Price

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 10:46:21 am »
I brew for several reasons. 1. I've always loved good beer. I'm passionate about it. 2. I love hand crafting something. We've lost that in America but not at my house! 3. I'm generally very distracted (ADD) in life and brewing forces me to channel everything into the brew day and focus. Its good for me. 4. Im proud of my finished product. I'm brewing what I like to drink 5. My wife was never much of a beer drinker but she LOVES my vanilla porter. Has a pint with me every night. I knew when I turned her to the dark side that I was making great beer!
Outside of the bedroom, theres nothing I'd rather be doing in my free time that brewing! :)
Cheers!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 12:56:16 am »
You guys all know the beer drinking friend or acquaintance who always drinks the same kind of beer and never varies? Won't drink if you don't have his brand?

I brew because I never want to be that guy.
Member #: 900000767

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:02 am »

8)

Except that now it's skunked :)
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:50 am »

8)

Except that now it's skunked :)

Now that was funny...but not for alcaponejunior.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »
Trust me it didn't last that long  ;D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 12:43:44 pm »
Trust me it didn't last that long  ;D

I believe that.  :)
Ron Price

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 01:46:35 pm »
Like most here, I brew for me. I brew what I think tastes good, not what the style guidelines tell me my beer should be. I brew because I am a self-proclaimed "beer snob" and choose to snub the BMC industry. I brew because I am passionate for good craft beer. I brew because I really enjoy the whole process of creating something that gets transformed into a tasty beverage. So I brew simply for the sheer joy of brewing!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »
Because I like to drink good beer, but I don't alway like to pay a lot for it.  I also brew to my tastes, mostly for American styles, just because there are hop/grist combinations that just aren't available commercially.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 03:06:22 pm »
I have to admit that I don't often think my beer is better than some of the best commercial beers out there.  But I usually like it better, and I think that's due to the fact that I brew it for my tastes.

I have to agree with this comment...but at the same time, I think we tend to be our toughest critic.  I also have a hard time finding people to give me honest feedback about a beer.  Beer judges give great feedback but usually its being judged on style...I just want to get feedback in such a way where if you were at a bar, asked for an IPA, the bartender gave you my IPA, would you like it a lot and order a few more, a little and have one more, ok but order something else, or return it. 

I think the best way to get honest feedback is by having your friends over and tell them you want to do a blind tasting of some commercial brews and then mix in one of your own without letting them know. 

I did that to my wife once without her knowing and got some REAL feedback from her, haha.

mmmm....beer

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 05:01:37 pm »
Of course back then all that was available in America were bland pilsners. ....Blue Ribbon.....

I take exception to that^^^^The best massed produced swill ever!!!!

I brew because I do. Same reason I make my own wine, bread, cheese, butter,  jellies & jams, grow and preserve my own vegatables. Cut & preserve meat (buy in bulk) catch my own fish,  and don't eat pre-prepared or resturauant cooked food, especially "fast food". I can afford to eat or drink what I want when I want but prefer to do it myself.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »
Can't beat an ice cold PBR on a hot day.