Poll

For most beers, whats your fermentation preference

Primary only, then package
35 (85.4%)
Primary, secondary, then package
6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: March 15, 2012, 12:26:59 pm

Author Topic: Poll: Do you use a secondary fermentation  (Read 7381 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Re: Poll: Do you use a secondary fermentation
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 03:49:18 pm »
My first two beers have been in a primary for about 7 days then racked to secondary carboy for about 7 days then bottled and carbonated naturally. For me racking to a secondary fermentation is not that more work and for my basic knowledge is the better option to control potential "off" flavors from letting the beer stay on the yeast cake. Once i start making more complicated beers like barely wine types, it seems like a secondary or aging carboy is a must.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 04:59:25 pm »
I think its safe to say that all of us probably used secondaries for our first beers.

But current best practice is that the off flavors we thought we were avoiding are not really being produced if you let the beer sit in the primary.

So, you can skip the secondary and save the small amount of work and the additional risk of oxidation and/or sanitation.

My old ale is sitting in primary for going on a month now.  It may go straight into kegs or it may go into secondaries, but that will only be if I need the kegs for the Belgian Blonde and the Dopplebock.

Since I gave up beer for Lent, my kegs aren't emptying themselves like they used to.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 05:07:05 pm »
My first two beers have been in a primary for about 7 days then racked to secondary carboy for about 7 days then bottled and carbonated naturally. For me racking to a secondary fermentation is not that more work and for my basic knowledge is the better option to control potential "off" flavors from letting the beer stay on the yeast cake. Once i start making more complicated beers like barely wine types, it seems like a secondary or aging carboy is a must.

I thought the same thing about getting off flavors from letting the beer sit on the yeast cake.  However, I let my ales sit in primary for 3 weeks and keg and have yet to taste any off flavors from sitting on the yeast cake. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »
Yeah, I stopped years ago after tasting no difference between secondary and non-secondary batches. Maybe it would be good for really big beers that need to age for a long time, but I never make beers like that so it seems pointless. I'm with the three weeks to ferment and then bottle/keg crowd.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 05:47:28 pm »
i think "sometimes" would have been a nice third option.

the only difference i've noticed is that it "seems" like the beers i secondary i a different carboy are clearer.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 05:53:14 pm »
I only brew ales. I let the beer go through high kräusen, then raise the temperature for a diacetyl rest (secondary fermentation, but in the original fermenter), then cold crash the yeast, transfer to a keg, and dry hop using nylon bags in the keg.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.