My turbid mash had numerous problems today. First I tried doing a protein rest on the wheat and some pils, and when I attempted to bring the temp up to gelatinize the wheat (a Wyeast lambic mash) I scorched the grist on my induction cooktop and had to throw it out and start over.
Second time I added the wheat to boiling water and gelatinized it for 30min, worked but at 1qt/lb it was set up hardr than oatmeal at the end. I added this to my pils which I protein-rested at 125F, for a combined temp ot 145F. When I tried to run this off it went really slow and eventually died. Turns out I mashed the braid right at the inlet to the hose. I managed to run off some of the wort, then strained the rest of the grist through a large steel-mesh strainer. I fixed the braid and sparged the grist. I was pushing my small 7gal cooler MLT with 15lb of grain (9lb pils, 6lb unmalted wheat).
In any case its boiling away now. I got nearly 8gal of wort and will boil it down to 6gal for 5.5gal of clear wort. I used 4oz of aged hops, they gave the wort a wonderul sour smell early on in the boil.