Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need new propane burner  (Read 10125 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Need new propane burner
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:17:16 pm »
I'm in the market for a new burner.  Just wanted to get some suggestions from you guys.  This is the burner I currently have:

I'm thinking about getting this one:

Any suggestions?  I routinely brew 10 gallon batches, so I'd like something more powerful and efficient, than the burner I have now.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Need new propane burner
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:29:32 pm »
The Blichmann floor burner.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/blichmann-floor-burner.html

Specifically designed for the homebrewer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:08:34 am »
I guess the next question is "What kind/size kettle do you have?", the KAB4 is a little too narrow for a 15.5 gal keggle.  I have a 82 quart Bayou Classic SS kettle and it works great with the KAB4, but when I need (want) a new one I will probably get the Blichmann burner (more flexibility).

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:35:58 am »

Don't forget the leg extensions.  I love mine.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:12:53 am »

Those things are works of art...  ;D
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:04:39 am »
Are the Blichmann burners worth the price relative to some of the other, cheaper choices?  The Blichmann with the leg extensions is around $175, which is 2-3x more expensive than some other choices. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:53 am »
Are the Blichmann burners worth the price relative to some of the other, cheaper choices?  The Blichmann with the leg extensions is around $175, which is 2-3x more expensive than some other choices. 
That's what I was thinking as well.  I use a burner similar to this one for 10 gallon batches. http://www.agrisupply.com/Cooker-Stand-Cast-Iron-Burner/p/40322/&sid=&eid=/

It works amazingly well. 170,000 btu's cranks out the heat! 
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21:05 am »
Is it just me or does the burner on the Blichmann look just like one on the model that the OP is considering?

Offline dpalusak

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:40:40 am »
I have just ordered the Blichmann floor burner with 24" leg extensions and from what I hear, I will not be disappointed.  I say go for it!!  Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 09:48:53 am »
Is it just me or does the burner on the Blichmann look just like one on the model that the OP is considering?

That's right. They start out with a standard burner like this one http://www.agrisupply.com/Bg-High-Pressure-Cast-Iron-Burner/p/64494/&sid=&eid=/ and then mount it in their stand or an outsourced stand, put their brand on it & sell it for what their brand name can bring. Marketing 101...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:06 am »
I have just ordered the Blichmann floor burner with 24" leg extensions and from what I hear, I will not be disappointed.  I say go for it!!  Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I don't doubt that they make quality equipment.  I'm just wondering if there's someone here who has owned both a Blichmann and say, an SP-10 like I have, and can tell us what the additional $125 premium buys you.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:48 am »
One thing to consider with the Hurricane/Banjo/KAB5 type burners is that they are hungry for gas.  If you run them hard to get that boil going, you can literally freeze up a small propane tank.  I converted mine to natural gas using the orifice from Williams brewing.  When I built my new stand, I got one of the 20 tip wok jet burners.  They are a bit noisier, but work well. 

In sum, good burners, but you'll use a lot of propane and can freeze up a half empty tank without trying too hard. 
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 11:04:10 am »
I bought the banjo burner you are considering but the heavy duty model, I think it was KAB6? After a couple boils I decided the burner was too far below the bottom of my keggle, about 6 inches. So I fabricated my own stand and used just the burner. It is now about 2 inches below the keggle and I am reaching a boil and using much less propane.
In summation, the burner is great but the stand is not adjustable and just too far away from where you can place the pot. FYI, you can buy just the burner and high pressure hose/regulator, wish I had. Now I have the stand and haven't figured a use yet.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 04:25:53 pm »
I'm using a 15.5 gallon keg to boil in.   I had to modify my existing burner (pic # 1 ) to seat the keg, I want to buy one without having to modify it.

The KAB4 says it has a 17x17 cooking area.  A keg is only about 15" in diameter, will it still not sit on there?  Anyone have this burner and use a half barrel keg?

The KAB4 is app. $60.00 cheaper than the Blichmann model.  Same burner it looks like too.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:29:17 pm by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:41 pm »
I don't doubt that they make quality equipment.  I'm just wondering if there's someone here who has owned both a Blichmann and say, an SP-10 like I have, and can tell us what the additional $125 premium buys you.

It's like rims on a car...sure, steel rims will get you where you're going but chrome 20's let you get there in style!  8)

That said, I think the reason I would go with the Blichmann is because I think I might get their top tier system eventually. I'm sure the other burners boil wort well enough without the high cost.
Intra cervisiam est deus.