Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Ingredients During Fermantation  (Read 4736 times)

Offline erik_m

• 1st Kit
Adding Ingredients During Fermantation
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »
Hi all, I'm getting ready to brew my 4th partial extract batch.  This one is a Lemon Coriander Weiss and it calls for addition of coriander and lemon zest when the beer is racked to a secondary.  I have read a lot that a secondary is not really necessary for clarification of the beer as many modern yeasts will clarify the beer on their own.  Also, there is some risk of introducing oxygen during racking and causing oxidation of the beer. 

My question is, can the lemon zest and spice be added directly to the primary without a problem or is the secondary fermenter required in this type of case?  As a second part, what about dry hopping?  Does that "require" that the hops be added when the beer is moved to the secondary fermenter or can it all be done in the primary?

Thanks!

--Erik

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Adding Ingredients During Fermantation
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:39 pm »
I just add everything to the primary. Unless I am adding fruit and expecting a secondary fermentation.
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:57:56 pm »
Agreed.  All of that can be done in the primary
Joe

Offline erik_m

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »
Thanks for the help guys...one more question though.  Regarding ethalacker's comment.  He said 
I just add everything to the primary. Unless I am adding fruit and expecting a secondary fermentation.

Does that mean that the secondary fermentation is caused by the sugars from the fruit that is added after the initial fermentation is complete?  I thought that once the yeast flocculated that things were pretty much over and the yeast was dormant.  The addition of the new sugars from the fruit would reactivate the yeast?

--Erik

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:10 pm »
Thanks for the help guys...one more question though.  Regarding ethalacker's comment.  He said 

Does that mean that the secondary fermentation is caused by the sugars from the fruit that is added after the initial fermentation is complete?  I thought that once the yeast flocculated that things were pretty much over and the yeast was dormant.  The addition of the new sugars from the fruit would reactivate the yeast?

--Erik
There is still plenty of yeast active and in suspension. But yes, that is my understanding of it.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Adding Ingredients During Fermantation
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:38 pm »
Only thing I would add is put your spices and such after fermentation is complete. Ensures the aromatics are not scrubbed out.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:40:38 pm »

I'm the same way.  My first batch I did in Oct/2011 was the only batch I've racked to a secondary.  Ever since, I've stuck with just primary.  The only additives I've added are dry hops and I put those in at about the 10-14 day mark and right into the primary. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:27 am »
Hi All,

So if you are adding ingredients into the primary after fermentation has subsided, whats the best way to do this without spalshing/aerating the beer?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:07:52 am »
Hi All,

So if you are adding ingredients into the primary after fermentation has subsided, whats the best way to do this without spalshing/aerating the beer?
Do it quickly and gently?  I generally don't worry about it, but mostly I'm just adding either wood which isn't going to have much, or fruit to a sour beer where I don't think it matters as much with the renewed fermentation.
Tom Schmidlin