Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malted barley germinating  (Read 10499 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Malted barley germinating
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »
I know I've had some weird topics lately but here's one more.
 A buddy gave me a bucket of grain that he had no idea what it was, might be 2 row, might be Carapils.  A pro brewer friend of mine couldn't help so I declined to brew with it and forgot about it for 3 or 4 years.  recently I found it and mixed it with bird seed, but the birds don't really like it either.  I feed the birds in some old flower pots mounted on a tree stump, and last week I re-filled the pots with soil and planted bulbs.  Today I look out and all the bulbs have been pushed out of the soil and and there are green sprouts growing.  I dug some up and its the alleged malted barley germinated and growing in thick mats in my flower pots. 
So how could malted barley sprout again?  This is really gonna be messy because I've tossed that grain all over my back yard with the bird seed.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Malted barley germinating
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:54 pm »
I don't know this for sure but i am 90% percent confident that the barley was not malted.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:50:29 am »
Agreed.  Malted barley is kilned to stop the germination process.  Looks like you might be growing your own barley in the back yard.  ;D
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:05:15 am »
likely it was unmalted but i am not so sure.  the kilning process may only arrest the germination and not destroy it.  i have a bag of two row i will throw some in one of my garden plots and see what  happens.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:40:27 am »
The birds will probably take care of it. And you need water or rain to get it really going. Still pretty dry up there in NM? Sprouts up? Just mow over the barley.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:04 am »
Malted barley should not sprout a second time.  Part of the malting process is to soak the grain, let it germinate and then kiln it to stop the growth.  Seeds don't get a second chance once they start it's all or nothing.  I'm pretty sure you were given a bucket of raw grain.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:30:36 am »
Malted barley should not sprout a second time.  Part of the malting process is to soak the grain, let it germinate and then kiln it to stop the growth.  Seeds don't get a second chance once they start it's all or nothing.  I'm pretty sure you were given a bucket of raw grain.

Paul
I get what you are saying, but fully modified grains are not fully sprouted - the acrospire shouldn't have penetrated the hull by the time it is kilned.  Even without the rootlets, it might be able to start growing again.  I think a test is reasonable.  It might be unmalted, but maybe some malted barley would still sprout. 

I think it's likely you're right, but I haven't tried it and I'm not a plant expert.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 04:43:08 pm »
likely it was unmalted but i am not so sure.  the kilning process may only arrest the germination and not destroy it.  i have a bag of two row i will throw some in one of my garden plots and see what  happens.

IF it works I think it is more likely to work with pils than pale or 'regular' two row as pils is kilned at the lowest temp
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:54 pm »
I can't imagine this guy having any reason to have a bag of unmalted barley or to have forgotten that he had it so I'm 99% sure it's malted.  I tasted it long ago, as did my brewer friend but we couldn't decide whether it was 2 row pale or a very light crystal malt.
The birds won't eat this stuff, they kick it out of the bird feeders and onto the ground so if it ever rains again(doubtful) I could have it coming up all over my yard.
As a test I planted a row of Weyermann pilsner malt in my garden today, I'll know in a week or so.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:44:43 pm »
Take a few grains of malted barley and put it between 2 pieces of wet paper towel. Place that in a plastic zip bag and wait a couple of days. You'll quickly be able to see if it's sprouting or not.

This is an old seed viability test.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:36:28 am »
I have grown Maris Otter in this manner. Believe it or not, I first thought to try it after I noticed a number of young, barley-like plants sprouting out of the spent grain pile in my yard. Yes, this is malt that went through the mash, and yes, it turned out to be barley.

I have had the argument on whether it was or wasn't in the past, and I'm not looking to have it again. Just reporting my observations. Not all the seed gets killed, and apparently, some are just damn near impossible to kill. Is it highly successful? Well, no. Out of maybe 60 lbs of spent grain, a few seeds sprouted. Out of maybe a pound of malt, a few seeds might sprout.

But barley, like Van Damme, appears to be hard to kill. YMMV and all that.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:46:44 pm »
But barley, like Steven Seagal, appears to be hard to kill. YMMV and all that.

Fixed that, for you.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099739/

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 10:38:00 am »
Updating an old thread. 
Barley from a sack of Weyermann's Pilsner malt did indeed sprout, but probably not 5% of the kernels I planted.  Actually "planting" is pretty liberal use of the word, I basically threw some malt on the ground, kicked some dirt over it and proceeded to ignore it for a couple of months.  This weekend I noticed a small stand of barlley growing in my onion patch.
So now I wonder if those grains were never really malted in the first place, or if I just had only a few sprout for other reasons.  If those grains were never malted I'm curious about what percentage of all the "malted" barley we use never really was malted..  Do the malting companies ever test their product for this?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 09:06:30 pm »
Updating an old thread. 
Barley from a sack of Weyermann's Pilsner malt did indeed sprout, but probably not 5% of the kernels I planted.  Actually "planting" is pretty liberal use of the word, I basically threw some malt on the ground, kicked some dirt over it and proceeded to ignore it for a couple of months.  This weekend I noticed a small stand of barlley growing in my onion patch.
So now I wonder if those grains were never really malted in the first place, or if I just had only a few sprout for other reasons.  If those grains were never malted I'm curious about what percentage of all the "malted" barley we use never really was malted..  Do the malting companies ever test their product for this?

So are they "cutting" their malt with unmalted knowing that it will convert anyway? At first thought that is what it sounds like.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:20 am »
Updating an old thread. 

So are they "cutting" their malt with unmalted knowing that it will convert anyway? At first thought that is what it sounds like.

I hope you were wearing your foil hat when you posted that! ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell