Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Right vs. Pragmatic  (Read 5523 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
Right vs. Pragmatic
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:50:19 am »
Thought Denny might appreciate this...

Right vs. Pragmatic
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Right vs. Pragmatic
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:11:19 am »
of course this doesn't address the follow on action/consequence of pragmatic vs right.  (punishment and deterrent) such as putting a bouncer at the bathroom door with the responsibility of giving swirlies to those who do not hit the trash can 8)
Don AHA member

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:36:36 pm »
Is anyone else bothered by the inefficiency of the path one has to take to navigate that bathroom?

Perhaps more people would wash their hands if they didn't have to dodge other people and zigzag back and forth through the room a couple times to do it?
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »
Okay, here's the reality or restroom design.  Once all the prime space has been spoken for, most architects look at what's left and where the pipes will fit.  Based on those two pieces of data they fit a restroom in what they have left.  Very pragmatic and completely the wrong way to do it.  Cheaper is better right?

I had typed a very wordy response to the real message on the site.  I'll just leave is as "I struggle with who is the pirate and who are the victims?" and leave my more controversial views out of it. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:09:50 pm »
The bathroom doors where I work now have little toe deals to open the door with your foot.  It's pretty slick.  Before we got those we had trash cans by the door for the towel users, and actually those trash cans are still there I think.

But we also have touchless soap dispensers (which doesn't make sense to me since you'll be washing your hands AFTER you touch it, makes no difference) touchless faucets, and automatic flush toilets.

And the pirating music bit in that link makes good points.  I don't appreciate it when anyone pirates music by downloading it online for free, BUT I also get burned CD's from friends...that's another form of pirating, is it not?  That's been happening since the ability to burn CD's has been around.  The demand just needs to be addressed.  But I don't know how...
Jesse

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »
BUT I also get burned CD's from friends...that's another form of pirating, is it not?  That's been happening since the ability to burn CD's has been around.  The demand just needs to be addressed.  But I don't know how...

In the 80's it was called making a mix tape.  8^)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:24:41 pm »
I use my towel to open the door and if there isn't a trash can close by, oh well, it becomes a job for broom. What I hate are the "green" bathrooms with only hairdryers in them. Yeah, that's really saving the planet.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:11:43 pm »
i use my towel to open the door too, and if there is no trash can close by . . . I carry it until I find one.  There's one in my office, and in every cube I pass on the way there.  Every lab has more than one can.  They're in the halls, they're everywhere.  Even in a restaurant, if I can't find a place I put it in my pocket until later.  There's no reason to throw it on the floor.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:23:36 am »
I have to admit.. I've never worried one iota about bathroom doors. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's a thing.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:05:46 am »
I just love the fact that we have now veered into talking about potty breaks.  :o I guess everything else has been covered.  ;)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:22:49 am »
I have to admit.. I've never worried one iota about bathroom doors. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's a thing.

You can't be paranoid about everything. It's just not healthy.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:02 am »

You can't be paranoid about everything. It's just not healthy.

The current "hand sanitizer" phase is actually going to make bugs harder to kill.  Over use of hand sanitizers just kills the weaker versions of a bug and gives the truly nasty one more room to grow (kinda like alcohol only killing the slow, weak brain cells 8) ).  We are making ourselves sicker in the long run by avoiding every "bad" thing we might run into.  I've seen studies that show kids who eat dirt (i.e. play outside, get dirty, have fun, you know like we did as kids) are smarter and healthier than kids raised in cleaner environments.

I wash my hands and throw the towel away in the trash can.  I will also will say that there are some bathrooms around that make that very hard to do but since you're already in them, any damage is already done.

Paul

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:18:39 pm »

(kinda like alcohol only killing the slow, weak brain cells 8) ). 

no wonder i am getting smarter as i age 8)
Don AHA member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 04:22:47 pm »
The current "hand sanitizer" phase is actually going to make bugs harder to kill.  Over use of hand sanitizers just kills the weaker versions of a bug and gives the truly nasty one more room to grow (kinda like alcohol only killing the slow, weak brain cells 8) ).
It depends on the mode of action.  Antibiotic sanitizers are bad, alcohol or bleach sanitizers are fine.  Stronger bugs are not necessarily worse for you, most are harmless/beneficial anyway.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 05:12:00 pm »
There was a time when bathroom door handles bother me that's my real peeve is knowing that there are people who take a s*** and don't wash their hands when they're done.    >:(