Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop bomb!!!  (Read 4219 times)

Offline lukethesithlord

• 1st Kit
Hop bomb!!!
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »
I brewed my first IPA with success and much enjoyment.  Unfortunately it is not the "hop bomb" I was hoping for.  Just going to throw a few out there as to what sort of flavor/profile i'm hoping for, but I don't know what I'm doing/not doing to get that super intense hop aroma/flavor.  The severely wonderful hop flavors i've gotten out of Stone IPA, Icicle brewing's Bootjack IPA, and Fremont Brewing Interurban IPA.  What am I missing here?

Aging: Northern Brewers Advantageous Weizenbock
Drinking: Midwest Supplies Summit Avenue ESB
Drinking: Northern Brewer Sinistral Warrior IPA

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Hop bomb!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:36:49 pm »
I'm not an expert at making hoppy beers, but I've made a few really good ones. I've had the best success using only late hop additions. Basically, you add all of your hops at -30min or less. You have to add a lot more to get the bitterness you want, but that means you get a lot more hops for aroma/flavor.

I also time my dry hopping so it's as close to bottling as I can get it. Aroma fades over time. 

Some people really like first wort hopping, but I haven't tried it.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline ahaintern

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »
Basically, you add all of your hops at -30min or less

+1. Add tons of hops between 30 mins and flameout. Then dry hop at least 2 oz per 5 gallons of beer, and you'll have yourself a pretty hoppy beer.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:14:46 pm »
I brewed my first IPA with success and much enjoyment.  Unfortunately it is not the "hop bomb" I was hoping for.  Just going to throw a few out there as to what sort of flavor/profile i'm hoping for, but I don't know what I'm doing/not doing to get that super intense hop aroma/flavor.  The severely wonderful hop flavors i've gotten out of Stone IPA, Icicle brewing's Bootjack IPA, and Fremont Brewing Interurban IPA.  What am I missing here?

In general, as others have said, add more hops later in the boil and increase your dry hopping.  However, I would encourage you to post your recipe.  We can provide more specific feedback after seeing what you did.

Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »
You need to add the majority of your hops in the last 10 minutes with a huge burst at flame out, then dry hop after fermentation is complete.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:44 pm »
In fact adding hops at flameout while whirlpooling is another way to get some great hop flavor and aroma.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:12 pm »
I have had good luck with the hops added at knockout with a long whirlpool.  You get good flavor, some aroma, and more bitterness even though the wort is not boiling.

For maximum aroma you have to dry hop, as the essential oils will flash off above room temperature (or above 78-80F for the lowest flash point).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline storm_ipa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:25:50 am »
For my last IPA I used 1oz of warrior for my bittering hops at 60 and 3oz of Zythos at 10. I didnt dry hop as the Zythos is such a strong hop. If all you're looking for is more aroma/flavor, then add more at the -30 mark and dry hop. What was the recipe you used?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
"He was a wise man who invented beer."