Poll

For most beers, whats your fermentation preference

Primary only, then package
35 (85.4%)
Primary, secondary, then package
6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: March 15, 2012, 11:26:59 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Do you use a secondary fermentation  (Read 3072 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Poll: Do you use a secondary fermentation
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »
Hey folks -

Every since I heard JZ say he gave up secondary a few years ago on Brewstrong, I have stuck with primary only.  Wondering how many folks do the same.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Do you use a secondary fermentation
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
Generally 3 weeks in the primary & then keg, although you could call the keg a secondary of sorts....  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »
I stopped using a secondary last year. though I'm curious about dry hopping without one.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »
i used to secondary, then i quite it, then i started it again, sometimes..... depending on dry hopping, the size of the beer, how long i'm aging it....
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »
I'll still use one occasionally if I'm going to let a big beer that I'm planning on bottling bulk age for several months or more.  Other than that it's always 2-3 weeks in the primary and then into the keg.  When I dry hop I do it in a bag in the keg.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
I'll still use one occasionally if I'm going to let a big beer that I'm planning on bottling bulk age for several months or more.  Other than that it's always 2-3 weeks in the primary and then into the keg.  When I dry hop I do it in a bag in the keg.

Just do what Tygo says.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
I generally don't use a secondary, although I have a Flanders Red aging with some Bett in a glass carboy right now. For most ales and lagers a secondary is really not necessary and can actually do more harm than good IMO.
Ron Price

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »
I stopped using a secondary last year after reading the pros/cons discussed on this forum.  Only use it now for dry hopping, though I will probably switch to dry hopping in the keg.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Oak Aged Bourbon Stout, Flander's Red, IPA, Belgian Pale, Northern English Brown Ale.

Fermenting: Flander's Red, RIS.

Aging: 4 Flander's Red Ales, Belgian Dark Strong, RIS.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
I stopped using a secondary last year after reading the pros/cons discussed on this forum.  Only use it now for dry hopping, though I will probably switch to dry hopping in the keg.

I dry hop in my primary with no problems.  I haven't tried to dry hop in the keg yet, so I may give that a try some day down the road.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »
I dry hop in my primary with no problems.

+1 dry hop in the primary all the time with no problems
Joe

Online theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »
I stopped using secondary because I'm lazy  ;D

The only time I use them is when I want to reuse the yeast from a beer that I'm going to dry hop ( rack to secondary then dry hop rather than trying to rinse the yeast later ).  If I'm not reusing the yeast, I dry hop right in the primary.
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club Member
https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastHomebrewClub
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
Yes I do a secondary fermentation for all of my beers. That is when the yeast are cleaning up the fermentation byproducts, e.g. diacetyl and acetaldahyde.

Do I let the yeast clean up in the primary fermenter or the secondary fermenter?  It depends on the beer.  Lagers get long secondaries in kegs.  Big beers and dry hopped beers get moved to secondary. 

One should go by taste and not the calendar when saying a beer is done.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »
Yes I do a secondary fermentation for all of my beers. That is when the yeast are cleaning up the fermentation byproducts, e.g. diacetyl and acetaldahyde.

Do I let the yeast clean up in the primary fermenter or the secondary fermenter?  It depends on the beer.  Lagers get long secondaries in kegs.  Big beers and dry hopped beers get moved to secondary. 

+1

After primary fermentation, I typically keg my beer, so if we all agree to call that a secondary "fermentation", then I am doing a secondary in the keg eventhough that is the final package as well.
Ron Price

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »

So I guess technically, I'm doing "secondary fermentation" in my primary fermenter and keg.  I have only been brewing since Oct 2011, so I haven't done any real big beers or lagering.  My first I racked to a secondary because I thought it would make it better, but after reading several comments on the subject, I've eliminated racking to a secondary with my "basic" ales.

I'll be attempting my first Tripel soon, so I'll definitely be racking to a secondary fermenter for that one, unless otherwise advised. :)
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »
I'm not sure why you'd treat a tripel any differently than other beers.

I seldom use a secondary fermenter, but I do it on occassion and usually it's only to free up a primary and if I don't have an available keg.  IMO the poll should have a third option, as things are seldom 100% one way or the other.

Lately, I've dry hopped in the keg and added oak chips in the keg which are both things I used to do in a secondary fermenter but are much easier in the keg.  I have lots of 5 gallon carboys that get very little use.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton