Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: homebrew shelf life  (Read 17174 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
homebrew shelf life
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:02:38 pm »
So i have pretty simple question. What is the self life of a Homebrew in bottles? I realize that most of the time the beer will be gone long before it spoils, but since there are no preservatives besides the alcohol, does anybody have a rough estimate for the shelf life. I would assume 6months or so not that it would last for six months, but some of my family wants me to save a few bottles of my first beer (bottled 1.22.12) I'm pretty close to finishing the two plus cases.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: homebrew shelf life
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:15:27 pm »
Hops are also preservatives.  I believe that there are many variables to consider with the shelf life of a beer.  Some that come to mind are abv., amount of hops, malt, packaging, storage temp., etc.  Or you could taste some now and write down some tasting notes.  Then, save some for six months and a year and taste again and compare tasting notes. 
Dan Chisholm

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:17:09 pm »
Typical rule of thumb is that it's at its best within 6 months, still plenty drinkable at about 12 months, and then beyond that, it can begin tasting pretty stale.

Of course this also depends on storage temperature.  Beer stored at 70 F or more will taste like crap after 6 months.  Beer stored in the refrigerator at 35-40 F should last well over a year without any real problems.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:23:59 pm »
Too many variables.  Drew brewed a 30 year batch of beer for when his mortgage is paid off.

It won't go bad like food will, but it might pass a "best before" date.  Hard to say when that date is.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:46 pm »
The old analogy "how long is a piece of string" comes into play here. I have some high gravity barley wines that are from 2006 and they are still quite delicious. But most of the beer I brew is intended to be comsumed fresh.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »
Mine has always lasted longer than it has lasted.

Suppose I could brew bigger batches, but then I'd have to brew less often.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:38:11 pm »
Six months is a good ROT to go by. I had a dubbel peak at about two years but after three years it just wasn't good anymore. Wasn't spoiled but had faded etc...

Hops were mentioned. The stronger and hopper the beer is the longer it will remain in its prime. Show me an IPA or Baltic porter or Imperial stout and Barleywines and I think longevity.

I had a case of lagunitas Barleywine that didn't taste right for several years.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:03:57 am »
Low gravity beers, wheat beers, and beers that emphasize hop aromas and flavor are best enjoyed young.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:40:12 am »
You can always ship them a bottle and they can try it now, while it's fresh.  Use fedex, not USPS.  Use tons of bubble wrap and a strong plastic bag around the bubble wrap.  Make sure there's no contact anywhere of the bottle to the outsides of the box.  Use TONS of bubble wrap!!!  Make it bomb proof.  There's a thread on these forums about shipping beer.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:41 am »
+1 on  the "too many variables" opinion. I have pulled out a barleywine at 13 years that was wonderful, but a pumpkin beer at 7 years had gone way south.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:08 am »
Controlling oxygen helps.  I recently found some bottles that I filled with a Beergun almost 4 years ago.  The hops had faded but the beer was still amazingly good.  It also helped that it was in the fridge for 4 years and not just on a shelf.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico