Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cheap IR thermometer  (Read 5404 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Cheap IR thermometer
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:18:21 am »
Anybody try one of these?  I don't know if I really have a use for one, just curious.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser/dp/B002YE3FS4/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Cheap IR thermometer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:33:54 am »
At that price it would be a fun toy to pick up.  Use it to check oven temps maybe. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:49:28 am »
They're fun to have around, but of little use for brewing. Great for looking at insulation lacking, hot spots in your walls, ceiling, etc. FYI They don't work well on shiny surfaces.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:51:38 am »

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:23 am »
I've had a similar IR thermometer from Harbor Freight for years.  I use it primarily to check tire temperatures when I take my bike to the track.  I have no idea how accurate it is.  I consider it a relative or comparitive measure for the most part.  I also recognize that its measuring only the surface temperature and that may not be indicative of the true internal temperature of what I'm measuring. 

I've used it to check temperatures in our kitchen oven and found that the measured temps were higher than the temp indicated on the control panel.  The problem is that I don't really know which is correct.  The cooking results suggest that the IR thermometer is more correct than the control panel. 

I don't know if these instruments have a place in the brewery, but they do give you some indication of temperature.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Cheap IR thermometer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:46:24 am »
I bought the same one off amazon and have used in quite a bit. It is pretty accurate (within a degree of two), cheap, easy to use, and also makes a great cat toy :). I use it a lot for cold side temp readings when I don't want to be sticking things in my wort or beer anymore but don't need a super accurate reading. Ferm temps (to check that my controller is correct), checking the wort when cooling, checking starter temps when cooling, etc. For $15 it has been very handy. It doesn't how every work well on the mash or hot side stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:52:03 am »
I use one to diagnose cooling system issues in cars.  Like bo says, they don't work well on shiny surfaces, so pointing it at a boil kettle isn't accurate.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:53 am »
I've occasionally used it to check surface temp of the wort after chilling--occasionally the BK thermometer probe sits too high to be useful (i.e., not in the liquid) for the batch size I'm brewing. 

The Blichman recommendation to put the thermometer six inches above the bottom of the kettle may save the thermometer (I'd suggest using a heat shield, as well), but it also renders it less than useful if you're boiling less than 10 gallons in a 20 gallon BK.

The wort is dark enough that I've not had problems getting a reading with the IR if it is held 3 inches away.
I do like the no contact aspect of it (one less thing touching the sanitized wort).

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:14 am »
I don't know if these instruments have a place in the brewery, but they do give you some indication of temperature.

+1

I agree with this. I don't recommend using them for measuring mash temps as it measures the surface temp and not an internal temp.

They are good for ballpark measurements.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:46:40 pm »
It might be good for looking at insulation and stuff around the house, that makes sense.  My wife is always concerned about the ductwork leaking hot air into the crawl space, this will let me check.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »
It might be good for looking at insulation and stuff around the house, that makes sense.  My wife is always concerned about the ductwork leaking hot air into the crawl space, this will let me check.

Good story, I like it  :D

I went with checking oven temps initially but I'll be sure to pull out the insulation thing after she rolls her eyes at the new toy.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 06:06:40 pm »

Good story, I like it  :D

I went with checking oven temps initially but I'll be sure to pull out the insulation thing after she rolls her eyes at the new toy.
We have a warm spot on our roof I noticed after a frost earlier this year.  I need to check that :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
It comes in handy for checking my hot water temp and drafty spots around the house not to mention checking my fermenter temps. I initially bought it for my side business but wound up using it more around the house than for my business.
Ron Price

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 03:56:30 pm »
Like Martin I have one from Harbor Freight.  The one I have is reasonably accurate at cooler temps.  When trying to measure hot water ( strike water temps ) it seems to be off by a few degrees.  I like to use it but only for a round about measurement.  If I want to get a more accurate temp I use my instant read thermometer.