Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is my beer shot?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Is my beer shot?
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:34:18 am »
So I brewed a APA on thanks giving and after it fermented out I transferred it to a secondary and it's been sitting in my temp controlled fridge since then at 61 degrees. Sad to say life got in the way.

Will my beer be shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Is my beer shot?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:38:54 am »
So I brewed a APA on thanks giving and after it fermented out I transferred it to a secondary and it's been sitting in my temp controlled fridge since then at 61 degrees. Sad to say life got in the way.

Will my beer be shot?

I've had life get in the way and brews hang around in the fermenter almost that long and they were just fine.  Although, APA's are best fresh so that hop aroma you're expecting may have mostly dissipated.
Joe

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:40:22 am »
You can always toss in a half ounce of new hops and dry hop it to get some aroma back if you think it smells weak.  Otherwise, I'm sure it'll be more than fine.

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Is my beer shot?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:53:26 am »
It was a cheap brew I got it to show my uncle how to allgrain bc he does extract partial boils. If its bad I won't e too sad.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:31:11 pm »
It's a little embarrassing, but we brewed a beer last July and it sat in primary, at room temp, until January. I thought it would be gross, but we kegged it to test our new kegerator. It's not a competition winner, but we were surprised to find it quite drinkable.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:44:39 pm »
I helped brew a RIS as part of a class I teach with other homebrewers. We brewed the beer, then it sat in the bucket and wasn't touched for 8+ months. I took it back home, kegged it, and brought it the next class. it was delicious. Now I know that a RIS is much bigger than an amber but it still sat in the primary for 8+ months. Taste it and find out, you might be surprised.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:25:40 pm »
+1.  Taste it and you will know whether to keg it or not.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »

Will my beer be shot?

Only if you put it in a 1.5oz glass, chug it, pour another 1.5 oz, chug it, .......... ::)
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:40:55 pm »

Will my beer be shot?

Only if you put it in a 1.5oz glass, chug it, pour another 1.5 oz, chug it, .......... ::)

Sounds like it's time for a century club!!!!
Dave Zach