Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Line Cleaner...Rinsing  (Read 6454 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Beer Line Cleaner...Rinsing
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:13:54 pm »
Now that I have my beer faucets installed and operating in my fridge door, (thanks to everyone who advised me along the way!), it is time to clean one of the lines.  My plan is to put some BLC/water in a clean keg, and pump it through the line/faucet.  Do I need to rinse the BLC from the beer line with hot water before I can run iodophor through the same line to sanitize?  Or, can I skip the hot water rinse, and just run the iodophor through the beer line, i.e., will the iodophor rinse out the BLC from the beer line well enough on its own? 

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Beer Line Cleaner...Rinsing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:15:27 pm »
I don't really know if this is necessary or not, so I'll be interested in hearing other responses, but I usually do cleaner, water, sanitizer just to be on the safe side.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:32:50 pm »
i rinse mine. i use a keg of cleaner and a keg of hot water and follow the cleanse with a rinse. No need to use sanitizer IMO.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:16:27 am »
I don't sanitize either, I just use BLC then rinse with hot water.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:45:11 am »
I rinse with hot water, add BLC and let it sit 10-15 minutes, rinse with hot water, sanitize.
From NB website:
"Liquid cleaner for draft system lines, including tubing, faucets, and valves. Make a solution by mixing 1 oz. per gallon of warm water, and pump it into your beer lines. BLC needs 15 minutes of contact time to remove deposits, beer stone, etc. Rinse with clean water."
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:43:48 am »
When I install a NEW line, I go the cleaner then sanitizer route. When I switch out a keg, I normally just run some sanitizer through the line and let it sit for a few minutes, then run some of the "new" brew through it to rinse.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:23 am »
I fill with an Oxyclean solution, soak, rinse and sanitize with StarSan.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:01 am »
Hot water rinse, then BLC and hot water rinse. I've used starsan, but don't think your gaining anything from it in this case. Beer lines should be cleaned every two weeks according to industry standards but I'm too lazy. I try to clean them once a month.  :)
Ron Price