Author Topic: when to plants hops?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
    • View Profile
when to plants hops?
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
So my cousins have a some hops (not sure the variety) that they want to get rid of. I wanted to know when i should go their house and transplant the hops to my backyard. I live in Colorado and we can get snow until May most years.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: when to plants hops?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:57:43 PM »
you can go and dig them up anytime. They will store in the fridge if kept moist for a few weeks.

there is a fair chance you will not get rid of them though. once established hops can be... resilient.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
As long as you can dig them, I think it's fine.  If the ground is too hard though, it will be more of a pain.  Snow is generally harmless, I would move them as soon as the ground is soft.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
Thanks i think i will wait until it gets a little warmer. Yeah last year they gave the whole plant to other homebrewer (before i started) and they thought it was gone,but it's back and bigger than before.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Nothing like clearing out the root ball to spur vigorous regrowth.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
yeah they were surprised and less than thrilled

Online Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
It's best to move them when dormant, so before they've started growing in the spring. Wise to wait for the ground to thaw too, unless you like punishment.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
So I have some more questions about planting hops. I'm trying decide if I should just a trellis with a pot or we have a dead tree the stump with be about 8-10ft high. My question is what method would see the best growth. I guess for both methods i could use another trellis like the pros do and string them across. I just wanted to know if the hops would climb the tree as well as a trellis

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »
My question is what method would see the best growth.

Planting in the ground, not a pot, will give the best growth. 

I suggest using the stump as support.  Native hops in the Gunnison Basin grow up rock escarpments.
Don't worry too much about what the pros do, since you are at home and just want to grow a few pounds for home use.

You could try attaching a little metal pig panel upright to the stump,
to give a rigid grid to grow on. 10 feet high plenty.

Hard to go wrong, if you irrigate. 8)

Good luck.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »
I have a dumb question...they say to wrap the hops clockwise around the twine, would that be clockwise from the top looking down or the bottom looking up?

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 04:10:18 PM »
I have a dumb question...they say to wrap the hops clockwise around the twine, would that be clockwise from the top looking down or the bottom looking up?
They'll let you know-they will coil by themselves so if you try to make them go the wrong way it won't work.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »
Ok, cool. I have one that's tall enough to start up the twine.

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
Hops follow the sun's course across the sky while ascending, so they have a "clockwise" growth pattern when viewed from above (i.e., "bird's eye view", or "eye in the sky" view).  Chirality is "left handed" growth (i.e., point the thumb of your left-hand upward and the natural curve of your fingers will indicate the twining pattern of the hop bine).

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »
My question is what method would see the best growth.

Planting in the ground, not a pot, will give the best growth. 

I suggest using the stump as support.  Native hops in the Gunnison Basin grow up rock escarpments.
Don't worry too much about what the pros do, since you are at home and just want to grow a few pounds for home use.

You could try attaching a little metal pig panel upright to the stump,
to give a rigid grid to grow on. 10 feet high plenty.

Hard to go wrong, if you irrigate. 8)

Good luck.

I would like to plant in the ground, but i don't own the house and i also want make sure the plant does well first. I appreciate all the suggestions form everyone. I think i will see if the stump works well enough by itself with any additional trellis support

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »
I would like to plant in the ground, but i don't own the house and i also want make sure the plant does well first. I appreciate all the suggestions form everyone. I think i will see if the stump works well enough by itself with any additional trellis support
It will work a lot better if you tie some twine to the top of the stump for the hops.  The stump is probably too big around for the hops to want to climb around behind it, but i haven't tried it.
Tom Schmidlin