General Category > Wood/Casks

White oak tequila barrel

(1/3) > >>

edvinjonsson:
So I got a 5 gallon white oak barrel from a friend who's family owns a tequila distillery. Any ideas on what I can do with it? ::) It hasn't been used.

tschmidlin:
Do you know if it is charred or toasted?  What kind of character are you looking to get out of it?  I think you can put any beer you want into it, just do it for a short period of time (taste it after a few days) or it will be WAY oaky.

Can you get Drew a used one? :)

bluesman:
By law any bourbon must be made in new American white oak barrels which are charred befor use. If your barrel is charred it was probably intended for whiskey or fine wines. As far as beer goes it would depend on whether the barrel was charred. If charred you would want to consider flavoring dark beers like Portes or Stouts.

tschmidlin:
Wine barrels are generally toasted, not charred.  Whiskey barrels are usually charred.  I don't know what they do for tequila.  I don't know that anyone sells barrels that are not at least lightly toasted.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on March 02, 2012, 06:03:01 PM ---Wine barrels are generally toasted, not charred.  Whiskey barrels are usually charred.  I don't know what they do for tequila.  I don't know that anyone sells barrels that are not at least lightly toasted.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps the term for wine barrels is "lightly charred" or toasted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version