Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acid in cider  (Read 34245 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Acid in cider
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:43 am »
I get my tannins from oak chips and black tea. I tried Earl Grey last time, and it turned out to be my favorite so far, at one bag per gallon. You can't taste the tea, but the bergamot gives the cider a slight floral/citrus note. Pretty subtle, but it's there if you look for it.

That's pretty interesting - how much did you use?

I think 1 bag of black tea per 1 gallon of juice is the minimum. I'm going to try double that on my next batch.

I'll get a tube of frozen apple juice concentrate, follow directions for the amount of water necessary (48oz, IIRC), boil the water, add tea bags, let it sit until it cools off (maybe 30-45min), then mix in the concentrate, and add the whole thing to the rest of the juice. You want the tea to get overextracted. I squeeze the bags when I take them out.

For oak, I usually do 2oz / 5 gallon. Usually French oak. IIRC, it has more extractable tannin and lower vanillin than American oak.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:24 am »
I like the tea idea much better than using powdered tannin!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:16 am »
 How many hundred tea bags would you need for that monster cider brew you did? 

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 03:06:29 pm »
HA - at two per gallon? 120. And how much water would I need to boil those in? Assuming 1/4 cup water per teabag minimum, I'd need about two gallons. I'd be the only guy around making tea in his kettle.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 03:09:15 pm »

Why is that?  I use powdered grape tannin and it seems to work well.  Why would tea be better?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 03:15:31 pm »

Why is that?  I use powdered grape tannin and it seems to work well.  Why would tea be better?

Maybe he just likes it better.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »

Maybe he just likes it better.

That's what I'm trying to find out...what makes it better?  I like using the powder becasue I can add to taste, kinda like using Sinamar for color.  Seems like if you were using tea bags you'd have to make a guess at the right amount.  I'd like to know why there is a preference for doing it that way.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:27 pm »
Sometimes something is better because you have it when you need it. I wanted to make cider, my LHBS was an hour-and-a-half drive away, and I didn't feel like waiting for mail order. So I tried using tea, liked the cider I made with it, and kept using it.

I have absolutely no evidence that it's subjectively better than powdered tannin, except conjecture, and I guess that's a kind of evidence.

I keep a lot of tea on hand because I like to drink it, and I keep a lot of oak on hand also. If I can remember next time I'm at the LHBS I'll pick up some tannin powder and try it out. How much per gallon should I start with?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:48:37 pm by nateo »

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 07:41:30 am »
I've never tried tea, so I don't know if it is better. My statement was 60% convenience (my homebrew shop is 1 hour away, tea is in the pantry), 20% because I just don't like that most wine tannin is made from chestnut bark - not grapes, and 35% unjustified prejudice.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »
I've never tried tea, so I don't know if it is better. My statement was 60% convenience (my homebrew shop is 1 hour away, tea is in the pantry), 20% because I just don't like that most wine tannin is made from chestnut bark - not grapes, and 35% unjustified prejudice.

115%.  You really must have some extra unjustified prejudice.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 01:15:24 pm »

It's important not to let facts and numbers get in the way of your prejudice.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:25 pm »

It's important not to let facts and numbers get in the way of your prejudice.

You and my mother have a lot on common.....;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 01:58:44 pm »

Don't try to confuse the issue with science.  Perhaps my reasons are not mutually exclusive?
AHA Member since 2006

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 01:28:19 am »

Don't try to confuse the issue with science.  Perhaps my reasons are not mutually exclusive?
Don't try to conflate science with math.
Tom Schmidlin