Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 3/2 Edition  (Read 5818 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 3/2 Edition
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 10:48:31 am »
Getting set to brew up a 6.25 gallon batch of some California common! It's a balmy 34 degrees outside so why not!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 03:33:39 pm »
My turbid mash had numerous problems today.  First I tried doing a protein rest on the wheat and some pils, and when I attempted to bring the temp up to gelatinize the wheat (a Wyeast lambic mash) I scorched the grist on my induction cooktop and had to throw it out and start over.

Second time I added the wheat to boiling water and gelatinized it for 30min, worked but at 1qt/lb it was set up hardr than oatmeal at the end.  I added this to my pils which I protein-rested at 125F, for a combined temp ot 145F.  When I tried to run this off it went really slow and eventually died.  Turns out I mashed the braid right at the inlet to the hose.  I managed to run off some of the wort, then strained the rest of the grist through a large steel-mesh strainer.  I fixed the braid and sparged the grist.  I was pushing my small 7gal cooler MLT with 15lb of grain (9lb pils, 6lb unmalted wheat).

In any case its boiling away now.  I got nearly 8gal of wort and will boil it down to 6gal for 5.5gal of clear wort.  I used 4oz of aged hops, they gave the wort a wonderul sour smell early on in the boil.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:03 am »
Brewed a Amber Ale with Amarillo & Cascade.  Should be an easy drinker.  Backing off the IPA level hopping for the first time in a while.  It is always hard not to add "a few more hops" on a brew day.