Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Pub Discount  (Read 5606 times)

Offline Crash Green

• 1st Kit
AHA Pub Discount
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:29:47 am »
I went to BJ's Brewhouse in Lewisville, TX last night and was told that they no longer accept the AHA card for any sort of discount! I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience at another BJ's (making it a corporate-wide decision) or if my local one just needs to be taken off the AHA website. The bartender said the first time the managers quit giving discounts was about three months ago, so this is a pretty recent thing.  >:( :o :'(
"Start every day with a smile on your face and get it over with." -W.C. Fields

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: AHA Pub Discount
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:20:23 am »
I wonder if Michael "Mufasa" Ferguson knows about this.  Every time I've heard him speak about the AHA, he's been a big supporter.  Maybe they are allowed to do whatever they want now.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:41 am »
How much discount did you get?

Offline stevep

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:05:51 am »
Sorry to hear you had trouble receiving the discount.

BJ's Restaurants have always been devoted supporters of the AHA and PDP, and ALL BJ's restaurant locations are participants in the Pub Discount Program. I spoke with the AHA's contact at BJ's Restaurants Inc. to confirm this as well as notify them that the location in Lewisville is not honoring the offer. We should have this fixed shortly!

Please let us now if you continue to have trouble receiving any of the listed offers at any PDP participating locations. Every now and then an issue arises when participation in the program is not communicated properly to new employees, and fortunately this can be fixed with a quick phone call.

Cheers!

Steve
Steve Parr
Assistant Director
American Homebrewers Association

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:01:30 pm »
Thanks Steve
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:24:01 pm »
How does one go about getting their local brewery on the discount program?  My local(ist) brewery has started making some pretty good beers.  I've been buying growlers there lately for home consumption.  They only have a tasting room with beers to go.  No food.  They have a BA member sticker in their window.  It would be nice to get a buck or two off per growler as an AHA member.  Is there some place I can direct them to look for more info?  The other two breweries on the island already participate.  It would be nice to have all three onboard.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:05:36 pm »
How does one go about getting their local brewery on the discount program?  My local(ist) brewery has started making some pretty good beers.  I've been buying growlers there lately for home consumption.  They only have a tasting room with beers to go.  No food.  They have a BA member sticker in their window.  It would be nice to get a buck or two off per growler as an AHA member.  Is there some place I can direct them to look for more info?  The other two breweries on the island already participate.  It would be nice to have all three onboard.

Don't know about Hawaii, but a lot of states don't allow discounting the alcohol.  Here, the discounts are just on the food portion of the bill so if they have no food, a discount might not be possible.
Joe

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:18:39 pm »

Don't know about Hawaii, but a lot of states don't allow discounting the alcohol.  Here, the discounts are just on the food portion of the bill so if they have no food, a discount might not be possible.

They can discount the T-shirts and other gear in the gift shop then.
Edit - if they have a gift shop.  But the real reason to open a brewery is to clean things and sell T-shirts.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:20:39 am »
But the real reason to open a brewery is to clean things and sell T-shirts.  ;)
HA! Great quote. Just tweeted. 

Offline stevep

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:46:26 am »

Feel free to send me an email with suggested participants for the program (steve@brewersassociation.org). It always helps to hear from the AHA members where they would like to see offers coming from.

In addition to my attempts at getting new breweries/brewpubs on board, AHA members can help spread the word by talking to tap room or bar managers at their local establishments about the program. There is a whole page dedicated to the Pub Discount Program on the AHA site under "Grow Your Business":
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/grow-your-business/pub-discounts

Here business owners can find information about the program, the AHA and a list of promotional benefits for participating in the program.
Steve Parr
Assistant Director

Offline stevep

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:49:46 am »

This is true. Several states prohibit the discounting of alcohol, however, this does not prevent a brewery/restaurant from participating in the program.

We try to encourage new participants to be as creative as the like in coming up with offers. They are not limited to "discounts" on alcohol. Offers can be made on anything from food, drink, merchandise, tours, mug clubs, special events..etc.
Steve Parr
Assistant Director

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:19:04 am »
I was at Shipyard Brewery in Portland, ME on Saturday for the tour and asked. The lady said they didn't participate but thought it was a great idea.

I just checked and apparently the Shipyard brewpub does participate.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline stevep

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:59 am »
I was at Shipyard Brewery in Portland, ME on Saturday for the tour and asked. The lady said they didn't participate but thought it was a great idea.

I just checked and apparently the Shipyard brewpub does participate.

Yes. The Shipyard Brewpub in Eliot, ME does offer 50% off appetizers to AHA members. They offer the same discount at all Sea Dog locations (Bangor, Topsham, South Portland), Federal Jack's Restaurant (Birthplace of Shipyard) and the Inn on Peaks Island. I'm not sure why they chose not to include the Brewery in Portland. Most likely because they do not serve food there so it does not fit the offer.
Steve Parr
Assistant Director

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:30:28 am »
Steve,
Probably a question everyone else knows the answer to but where do I find a list of participating pubs?
Thanks.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:57 am »
www.homebrewersassociation.org > directories > find a pub discount
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958