Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dropping off instaed of shipping for NHC, do I have to package like I was shippi  (Read 2129 times)

Offline jetmac

• 1st Kit
I will be dropping off my NHC entry rather than shipping. Should I still pack it up as though I was shipping it?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
great question. i am dropping off too. i was just going to rubberband the entry label and hand it in.
Don AHA member

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
I would.  You never know what's going to happen where they are storing them until the competition.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
I will be dropping off my NHC entry rather than shipping. Should I still pack it up as though I was shipping it?
Hi Jetmac,

Yes, you should package your entries fairly close to how you would if you were shipping them.  All shipping locations are businesses and each location may have several people accepting packages for the competition which they will pile in a specific location.  Entries that are submitted as bare bottles or bottles in a six-pack holder are fragile and can't be stacked with all of the boxes.  This is how some entries get lost or broken before the bottle sort begins, even though you carefully hand delivered your entries to the shipping location.  Package it so it can withstand being dropped or rolled.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline jetmac

• 1st Kit
Great information. Thx for the reply's. Ooops, I misspelled instead.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
I duno? Last year my son dropped mine off in Denver in a 6-pack carrier. No issues. Maybe a quick email to the Region Organizer could save you a bunch of unnecessary work.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
I have always used commercial beer packages for the first round.  I do remember a guy in our club having to quickly ship a replacement last year, as his got broken in an accident in the cold room. 

Might package like I was shipping this year. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
And label the entries with what competition they are for.  Around here sometimes there are more than one competition going on at the same time.
Brew on

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Entries that are submitted as bare bottles or bottles in a six-pack holder are fragile and can't be stacked with all of the boxes.  This is how some entries get lost or broken before the bottle sort begins...

Excellent point.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958