Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barrel aging  (Read 1865 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Barrel aging
« on: March 11, 2012, 01:30:31 pm »
So, I'm gonna get a couple 8 gallon whiskey barrels, and brew a winter warmer for next winter.  Couple questions.

The distillery is bottling today, the barrels will sit for a week until I can pick them up, then about a week 'till I'll brew.  Any problems? 

Also, I'm think of putting in barrel post fermentation, and letting it age till, November, when I will keg and carbonate.   Thoughts?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Barrel aging
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:44 pm »
No problem if the barrel sits for a week or three.

Putting your beer in a fresh dumped barrel for 6 or 8 months seems like a bad idea to me - it will pick up a too much character, and you'll have to blend it back or age it a long time to make it drinkable.  I wouldn't go longer than a month in a fresh dumped barrel, and you STILL might need to blend it.  But maybe you like a stronger whiskey/oak character than I do.  I would fill and then taste it after a week, and on a weekly basis after that.  I'd also recommend picking up a bottle of the whiskey that was in the barrels so you can dose it in the keg if you feel it needs it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:52:50 pm »
No problem if the barrel sits for a week or three.

Putting your beer in a fresh dumped barrel for 6 or 8 months seems like a bad idea to me - it will pick up a too much character, and you'll have to blend it back or age it a long time to make it drinkable.  I wouldn't go longer than a month in a fresh dumped barrel, and you STILL might need to blend it.  But maybe you like a stronger whiskey/oak character than I do.  I would fill and then taste it after a week, and on a weekly basis after that.  I'd also recommend picking up a bottle of the whiskey that was in the barrels so you can dose it in the keg if you feel it needs it.

Thanks for the quick reply Tom, as you can imagine, I'll be in Woodinville next Saturday.......

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:19:05 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Tom, as you can imagine, I'll be in Woodinville next Saturday.......
That was my guess :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 07:02:40 pm »
This Top Ten Barrel Aged Beer list is from America's Top Ten and from the results of the 2011 U.S. Open Beer Championship.   

1. Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale – Lexington Brewing, Kentucky
2. Jai Alia White Oak IPA - Cigar Brewing, FLorida
3. Humidor IPA - Cigar Brewing, Florida
4. Velvet Merkin- Firestone Walker Brewing, California
5. Bluegrass Brown, Thunder Canyon Brewery, Arizona
6. Old Jack - Ram Restaurant & Brewery 
7. Cherry Stout - New Glarus Brewing 
8. Tart Lychee   -  New Belgium Brewing Company 
9. 21st Amendment Ale  - Court Avenue Restaurant & Brewing 
10. Beastie Barrel Stout - Barley Island Brewing 

I recently purchased a Woodinville barrel and want to do some barrel aged beers. I was thinking about an Imperial Red Ale with a healthy hop character.

Ron Price