Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Entries closed....  (Read 28437 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: NHC Entries closed....
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
Question:  About what % of entries come from non-AHA members?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think you have to be an AHA member to enter.

They allow non-members to enter but the fee goes up.

AHA memebers: $10
non-members: $15
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 11:47:02 am »

I think you are given the option to join to get the $10 entry rate, but I think I remember seeing $15 for non-members.  I could be wrong...I tend to drink a bit  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 11:57:37 am »
Puna...this wasn't your house I hope:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-05/hawaii-lava-evacuation/53361612/1

No, not mine.  I know Jack and have been to the Lava House many times.

It's end was inevitable, but sad none the less.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 12:03:19 pm »

They allow non-members to enter but the fee goes up.

AHA memebers: $10
non-members: $15

yeah, just wondering if it is a significant number.  I don't want to limit entries but making it truly an AHA-only competition doesn't seem unfair.  *shrug*

cheers--
--Michael

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 12:45:38 pm »
I tend to drink a bit  ;D

You, too, huh?   :o
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 12:48:20 pm »
What's the average # of entries per person?  Just wondering.  I'd be fine with 4 or 5. 
I entered a lot more because of a side competition at the Canadian competition but after this year, I don't see myself entering anything but my absolute best efforts, if at all. 

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »
if you cap the number of entries....then the ninkasi award will just become pointless.  Even with the "shotgun" approach there are ties for ninkasi every year.  Plus, the best homebrew you ever make can score 23 in one competition and 45 in another.

If you want to be competitive for the NHC, then you have to show up to the game. 

I think that capping entries at such a ridiculously low number like 4 will hurt the competitiveness of NHC.  You might as well just assign everyone a lottery number and just do a drawing for the metals.

now for a better idea.....

most competitions are registered with the AHA.  What if to enter NHC, you must win a gold in your category of that registered competition?  How this might work is if a competition gets 500+ entries, then the AHA will give them 28 tickets to nationals.  The competition organizers hand out those tickets to the first place.  That way, the less experienced homebrewer gets feedback from the smaller competitions and the more competitive homebrewer needs to win first before "shotgunning" the first round.

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:03 pm »

Edith,
You make a lot of assumptions...  I volunteer for a lot of comps in several states and am also an exam grader. ANYWAY - I think capping is a good way to allow lots of brewers to push forward their best beers to the competition. I also think registering in your own region is best, too.

Lots of people have other priorities over entering in the first 24hrs... like, oh, maybe, working?  Geezus you're a insensitive goob.

you had 2 days to enter before all regions closed.  I don't know many people that work for 2 consecutive days but maybe you do. 

I didn't mean to direct the non-volunteering comment to you....its just that in general, most people that complain about competitions don't volunteer.

It took me 6 minutes to enter my 18 beers into the first round.  I told my boss I was going to do it.  IF he didn't agree, I'd take the day off!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »

most competitions are registered with the AHA.  What if to enter NHC, you must win a gold in your category of that registered competition?  How this might work is if a competition gets 500+ entries, then the AHA will give them 28 tickets to nationals.  The competition organizers hand out those tickets to the first place.  That way, the less experienced homebrewer gets feedback from the smaller competitions and the more competitive homebrewer needs to win first before "shotgunning" the first round.

See the MCAB
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 02:43:36 pm »

See the MCAB

And see Denny's response to that suggestion in the other thread...

or go the mcab route and have other contests act as qualifiers.

That's been discussed and unanimously voted down by the Governing Committee as being to exclusive.
Joe

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:42 pm »
Maybe it should be set up like the Miss America pageant.  Each state will have a qualifiy competition and the winners will go on to compete in the Nationals.

AARGGGHH!!!! I just pictured the Swimsuit competition  :P
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 02:51:38 pm »
most competitions are registered with the AHA.

Comps are registered with the BJCP, not the AHA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 03:22:17 pm »
I kind of like the idea of capping the number of entries per brewer.  It would level the field and show which brewers consistently make the best beer.  If you capped it at say 10 and nobody cheated (entered more in the name of the significant other or the dog), then those people who had 10 advance must be some pretty awesome brewers.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline marty

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »
entries were open for 3 days, if you didn't get in you either only have yourself to blame or have something far more pressing than a homebrew competition going on

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »
entries were open for 3 days, if you didn't get in you either only have yourself to blame or have something far more pressing than a homebrew competition going on

that's a little harsh, considering registration was set up to last until March 28th.
I mean, everyone *knew* it would fill up before then, but maybe some people would like to compete but needed some of those extra 24 days to figure out what they had that was ready/worth sending...maybe some people were brewing to be ready for Nationals in late March/early April, not March 1st...whatever the reason, there is clearly unmet demand, and "you have only yourself to blame" really misses the point IMO.

cheers--
--Michael