Author Topic: NHC Entries closed....  (Read 18474 times)

Offline marty

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: NHC Entries closed....
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
Instead of limiting entries per person (check the numbers over the past few years and you'll see the average # is about 4 per), or making a whole new round of judging (there aren't the resources for this) how about limiting the number of entries per category.

There are only 750 entries for 28 categories, cap the entries per style category at 40. Total still capped at 750 (no not every category would be able to reach it's max, but most don't hit 40 anyways)

Want to enter something in 10, 13, 14, 16, 18, 23? Then you better enter the first day as soon as it opens, because they will fill up. Have entries in the less overloaded styles? There will be about 500 entries left per region for those once the Big 6 categories fill up. Don't want to risk not getting your Melomel or Doppelbock in? Go ahead and enter the first day as well, but you'll probably be able to wait

Benefits:
Encourages people to brew new styles, go out of their comfort zones instead of Pale Ale, IPA, Stout, Belgian, Pale Ale, IPA, Stout, Belgian ...  These make up about 40% of NHC entries!
Simplifies Judging, no need to setup 4, 5, 6 judging tables to pass beers to a final round in the overloaded categories
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:10:17 PM by marty »

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »

Exactly right, Drew.  I think it's great that people are trying to think outside the box to help find solutions, but a lot of the things that have been mentioned have already been discussed found to be unworkable.  But please, keep posting ideas!

1) the AHA membership has grown
2) NHC has grown
3) Janis hasn't cloned herself yet!

maybe we should work on number 3 above.  seriously though, would it help to grow the competition by having the AHA hire another Janis-like workaholic to keep up with the growth of NHC?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »

Exactly right, Drew.  I think it's great that people are trying to think outside the box to help find solutions, but a lot of the things that have been mentioned have already been discussed found to be unworkable.  But please, keep posting ideas!

2) NHC has grown

maybe we should work on number 3 above.  seriously though, would it help to grow the competition by having the AHA hire another Janis-like workaholic to keep up with the growth of NHC?

I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but I don't know if the budget is there for it.  Also, it wouldn't solve the problem of having enough judges for the entries.  AFAIK, the PNW region is struggling to find enough judges as it is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »

2) NHC has grown

I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but I don't know if the budget is there for it.  Also, it wouldn't solve the problem of having enough judges for the entries.  AFAIK, the PNW region is struggling to find enough judges as it is.
Isn't there a $750 x $10+ increase in income from having a new region?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
Yes, but much of that $7500 goes to actually hosting the event - cups, printing, food for judges, etc, let alone paying for a person to help Janis.

Denny, are you talking about the first round or the second round?  As far as I know there are no shortages for the second round, and we are sending a bunch of people down to Portland for the first round.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »
What is the process for becoming a first-round judging site for the NHC? 
If a club (or group of clubs) is willing to offer, whom do they contact?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
What is the process for becoming a first-round judging site for the NHC? 
If a club (or group of clubs) is willing to offer, whom do they contact?
Janis.

She will expect your group to have a proven track record of running larger competitions and not have a competing site very close.  Seattle tends to alternate with Portland, it makes it easier on the organizers and our judges can travel back and forth pretty easily.  Not everyone makes the trip every year of course, so it reduces judge strain as well.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »
She will expect your group to have a proven track record of running larger competitions and not have a competing site very close.  Seattle tends to alternate with Portland, it makes it easier on the organizers and our judges can travel back and forth pretty easily.  Not everyone makes the trip every year of course, so it reduces judge strain as well.

Seems like this sort of backs up someone's earlier suggestion of "more smaller" first round sites.  Rather than alternate between Portland and Seattle each year, why not do a half-size competition at each?  Talk about reducing judge strain, travel strain, all kinds of strain.
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »

Seems like this sort of backs up someone's earlier suggestion of "more smaller" first round sites.  Rather than alternate between Portland and Seattle each year, why not do a half-size competition at each?  Talk about reducing judge strain, travel strain, all kinds of strain.
Because more smaller first round sites creates a bigger second round.  Besides, it seems for us the judge strain comes from the days committed t judging, not the number of beers judged in a day.  This time of year is known as "competition season" around here, we have a lot of opportunities to judge so that creates a strain.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
NHC Entries closed....
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
Yes, but much of that $7500 goes to actually hosting the event - cups, printing, food for judges, etc, let alone paying for a person to help Janis.

Denny, are you talking about the first round or the second round?  As far as I know there are no shortages for the second round, and we are sending a bunch of people down to Portland for the first round.

Not my quote, Tom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
Not my quote, Tom.

That's fine, I just want to know which round is having the problems?  I'll bug PJ.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
Not my quote, Tom.

That's fine, I just want to know which round is having the problems?  I'll bug PJ.

It's fun being the Grand Poobah Tom... :o  :)

Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »
Not my quote, Tom.

It's fun being the Grand Poobah Tom... :o  :)

Just trying to help - I can get the word out to the locals (again) about the 1st round, but we have a comp this weekend so I can spread the word then too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
Not my quote, Tom.

Yeah, he'll have to tell you.  It may not be as dire as the original email he sent out made it sound.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Not my quote, Tom.

Yeah, he'll have to tell you.  It may not be as dire as the original email he sent out made it sound.
We're slow to commit but rally when the time comes :)
Tom Schmidlin